Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Help for a sick phal - only has aerial roots left (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/51677-help-sick-phal-aerial-roots-left.html)

OrchidLife 08-06-2011 06:49 PM

Help for a sick phal - only has aerial roots left

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm still tryng my best to keep my healthy phals alive and today I was given a very sick phal by someone who thought I could do a better job than they were. When I pulled the poor thing out of the pot every single root was rotten and it was so bad that even the bark it was potted in had mold growing on it. I cut off the dead roots. The only saving grace for this poor phal is that it had sprouted out a bunch of aerial roots. That is now all it has left. I've had it soaking for an hour to try and soften them up a bit. Is it safe to go ahead and pot this phal? I read that aerial roots don't take to being potted the same as roots that have grown inside the medium and I want to give this phal the best chance it has to live. Any and all advice appreciated :) Photo is after it's been soaking for a while.

Eyebabe 08-06-2011 07:00 PM

I would cut the base of the stalk off at the bottom almost up to your first healthy roots.
I have potted up plants with arial roots without problems but if you are concerned you could keep the roots a bit shallow in the media.
I have also seen some posts from people who use water culture.

I think the plant looks good :)

OrchidLife 08-06-2011 07:29 PM

I didn't know you could cut the base - I will try that :) Should I put cinnamon on it after I cut it? It certainly looks much perkier since it's been soaking. The leaves were limp and now they have fleshed up a it. Thanks for your help :)

mmursuli 08-06-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyebabe (Post 426343)
I would cut the base of the stalk off at the bottom almost up to your first healthy roots.
I have potted up plants with arial roots without problems but if you are concerned you could keep the roots a bit shallow in the media.
I have also seen some posts from people who use water culture.

I think the plant looks good :)

:agree: I was in the same position as you with an orchid my grandmother couldn't take care of any longer. I cut the base up to the first healthy root, sprinkled cinnamon, and potted her up. I didn't know you weren't suppose to pot the aerial roots, but it turned out to be a happy mistake. :) I also use Hormex, which is pretty much the same thing as K-L-N (a rooting hormone). Take a look at her now, and its only been three months: http://www.orchidboard.com/community...not-repot.html

Keep us posted!

Gin 08-06-2011 08:43 PM

Think it will be fine I do the same as posted above never had a problem with aerial roots being potted they are the same as the ones in the pot only not in the pot.. :)

OrchidLife 08-06-2011 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone. I potted her up and I'll keep you posted on her progress. She has a little nub showing at the bottom left of her stem so I guess I'll see if that turns into another root or something else. I think she has a strong will to live! :)

Val 08-07-2011 05:25 AM

After repotting, usually it's a good idea not to water for a couple of weeks, just to give the roots time to heal any cracks. You can mist the surface of the potting mix though.

Eyebabe 08-07-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrchidLife (Post 426376)
Thanks everyone. I potted her up and I'll keep you posted on her progress. She has a little nub showing at the bottom left of her stem so I guess I'll see if that turns into another root or something else. I think she has a strong will to live! :)

Your pot looks a little big to me...maybe some others can give their :twocents:

mmursuli 08-07-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyebabe (Post 426548)
Your pot looks a little big to me...maybe some others can give their :twocents:

:agree: I'd definitely pot her up in a smaller pot.

Hugorchids 08-07-2011 01:27 PM

It should recover nicely, the remaining aerial roots will help. You can try mounting this paph since you still have roots to tie down, use a bit of spag, of its going back to the pot, use a clear see-thru. I wouldn't water too much over the next few months to encourage root growth but frequent misting on the aerial roots and high humidity is a must. good luck!