Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Microfungal Outbreak (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/49873-microfungal-outbreak.html)

quiltergal 07-16-2011 12:47 PM

Microfungal Outbreak

5 Attachment(s)
So I started noticing these weird spots about a month ago on my Phals. I also had one Den that had black spots and droppped every last leaf. Per the Sticky link above it appears to be a micro fungus. It is not mites. I have already checked. So I am quarantining these and breaking out the Cleary's as that is the only fungicide I have on hand at the moment. I am also sterilizing trays in bleach water. It's beginning to spread quickly now that warmer weather has arrived. I'll keep you posted. :((

King_of_orchid_growing:) 07-16-2011 02:07 PM

Try a 15 - 30 min bath in potassium permanganate. There is more information on the web on how to use it.

I use it to disinfect my new arrivals that look diseased.

Ray 07-17-2011 12:29 PM

That first photo looks like mesophyll collapse, which most often results from cold water hitting warm tissues. The others are, indeed, and infection of some sort.

quiltergal 07-17-2011 03:27 PM

Ray, they all start out like picture number two, progress to picture number one, and finally like picture number three.

I'm always careful to water with lukewarm water, and dry the leaves before putting them back. At first I thought it was because they got too cool (crazy rainy spring), and thought mesophyll collapse also. Then I started paying more attention and as the temps got warmer it started spreading like wildfire so I started watching the progression.

Do you think Cleary's will help, or should I be trying something different like Philip suggests?

Call_Me_Bob 07-17-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 420256)
That first photo looks like mesophyll collapse, which most often results from cold water hitting warm tissues. The others are, indeed, and infection of some sort.

that could be my problem! :bowing

good luck quiltergal

Leafmite 07-17-2011 08:39 PM

Good luck!
Leafmite

quiltergal 08-23-2011 01:45 AM

Thought I'd update you all on my problem. I drenched all plants in my collection and foliar sprayed as well with Cleary's 3336 WP, and repeated 7 days later. The systemic anti-fungal seems to have stopped it in it's tracks for the time being. I do not see any sign that it is progressing. The smallest plant lost all but one leaf but it is rapidly growing a new one which appears so far to be unaffected. All the new growth on even the worst of them seems OK. I've also been disinfecting my drip trays with Physan 20 for good measure. Keep your fingers crossed!

camille1585 08-23-2011 03:37 AM

I really hope that that was the end of it, it must be so terrible to watch something like that spread through the collection. I'm really happy that the treatment worked! :)

RJSquirrel 08-23-2011 05:47 AM

Bordeaux mix

good luck there :)
I had trouble last year and it broke me down to a grown man being reduced to tears by a fungus.
Never knew this until just today but I have been pre-soaking my moss that I use in copper sulfate and hydrated lime mixed with some water and its called "Bouillie Bordelaise"...been used for over 100 years in grape vineyards for fungus and I have had no trouble this hot season with any fungus like I did last year..

Just saying ;)...stop it before it starts

I thought I had discovered something and its been used for a century, slow damn internet.

camille1585 08-23-2011 06:06 AM

Bouillie Bordelaise is extremely common in France, basically every one who has a yard/garden has some. It's an old stand by treatment that works excellently to prevent infections (but not so good to cure). I spray my tomato plants with it when the weather starts to get wet+ warm, helps avoid the all too common Phytophthora infections. Only thing is to avoid spraying it on hot days, the copper then becomes toxic to the plant.