Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Growing Under Lights (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-under-lights/)
-   -   LED Lights (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-under-lights/4762-led-lights.html)

OrchidTess 07-04-2007 11:23 AM

LED Lights

I am making a new light stand and I have been reading up on LED lights. The price is high but I am curious if they're an improvement over fluorescents. Do any of you or anyone know of anyone currently using them? I value all opinions.

Thank you!!! :nod:

jim blanford 07-04-2007 01:44 PM

I an members of the Batavia Orchid Society tested LED's and found them not very good. I think the way to go CFL's. I've
been testing them and they are great so far. Hope this helps. Jim.

quiltergal 07-04-2007 02:04 PM

My son works at a hydroponics store. They have tested the LEDs on various plants and came to the same conclusion as Jim. No big whoop, certainly not enough to justify spending that much money on them. While they may be super energy efficient they don't do as good a job as the HIDs or the CFLs.:hmm

Phalguy 07-04-2007 05:55 PM

Very great comments, I was wondering about that too....

Thank you guys !

Phalguy

OrchidTess 07-04-2007 08:17 PM

Thanx very much for the input! :cheer: I am mainly growing Phals under the lights, so I think the T5's will be sufficient.

Ross 07-04-2007 11:04 PM

I was hoping for this sort of response because that has been my conclusion as well. LED's are great for flashlights, etc. But , while they appear very bright, the lumens are just not there. For the money, it's hard to beat T5's or CFLs in my opinion and experience.

markr 07-06-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrchidTess (Post 42994)
I am making a new light stand and I have been reading up on LED lights. The price is high but I am curious if they're an improvement over fluorescents. Do any of you or anyone know of anyone currently using them? I value all opinions

Depends on what you mean by "improvement". LED lights produce far less heat than other light sources and require less electricity for similar light outputs. Problem is, it is initially very expensive to pack enough LEDs under a hood equivalent to a few much more affordable CFL or T5 tubes. Unless you have a special requirement for low heat or you are absolutely committed to saving a few dollars on montly electricity bills, it's probably easiest to go with more traditional fluorescent tubes.

People are starting to use LED systems in heat-sensitive tropical reef aquariums. Perhaps orchid growers will eventually start using them with cool-growing terrariums.

aquanut415 07-08-2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markr (Post 43491)
Depends on what you mean by "improvement". LED lights produce far less heat than other light sources and require less electricity for similar light outputs. Problem is, it is initially very expensive to pack enough LEDs under a hood equivalent to a few much more affordable CFL or T5 tubes.

this is what i thought...
i know a few aquarium keepers who are switching over to LEd. the cost is crazy initially, but in the same area, the right make of LED produce far brighter light with considerably less heat.

in terms of dollar efficiency it is probably more economical to use t5 or cf (today), but they are not "brighter" lights.

Tele fan 08-04-2007 10:50 PM

I have been using LED lights for about 4 months for my cool growers and I am very impressed with them. I have 15 masdevallia and all but one has rebloomed since I started with this type of lighting.
David

swords 08-11-2007 10:46 PM

I bought a pack of 7 high intensity LED lamps (I think theres 128 LEDs in one bulb) about six months or a year ago. But I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I was enticed by their ad what can I say! However, they really are ugly (big screw in traffic light kinda things) and the colors are supposedly great for the plants but weird to look at.