Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/)
-   -   Benisuzume & Jujak (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/47254-benisuzume-jujak.html)

Lars Kurth 05-29-2011 07:04 AM

Benisuzume & Jujak

3 Attachment(s)
These just started flowering: I tend to have a succession of flower stalks rather than lots of flowers at once. Pic 1 & 2: Benisuzume, pic 3: Jujak

Roly0217 05-29-2011 07:54 AM

Those are beautiful Neos. Great growing and love the colors of the blooms. May I ask how do you grow them?? I've got mine a couple of years ago in fact one of my first minis back in 2008 and it came in bud but after that all it has done is grow and grow and grow some more. There must be at least 10 fans yet no blooms. I grow it with the rest of my vandas. Again gorgeous blooms. Congrats !!!

Lars Kurth 05-29-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

May I ask how do you grow them??
I grow mine in wooden baskets which have CHC in them. Mine are kept bright like Vanda's in intermediate to warm condiyions. In the summer I have high humidity, in winter less and low temps of 15C at night.

Maybe you need a cooler and drier spell in winter to induce flowering.

Roly0217 05-29-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Kurth (Post 407064)
I grow mine in wooden baskets which have CHC in them..
Maybe you need a cooler and drier spell in winter to induce flowering.

Mine is also in a wooden basket with some bark chunks in it; now as to the winters we get even low in the 40s and 50 degrees but generally we are in the low 60s which is about 15 C. I think that the key is stop watering. I tend to keep watering my vandas since they are all in baskets and we do tend to get some wind. I'll try reducing water this winter and see. Thanks for the tips.

Lars Kurth 05-29-2011 08:18 AM

I think it may depend on the clone also: all my Neofinetias so far have flowered except for Manjusahwa 蔓珠沙華 which just grows

Roly0217 05-29-2011 08:23 AM

I think that mine is the standard falcata. The tag says Neofinetia falcata- Amami Island

Paula Frayne 05-29-2011 09:05 AM

Those are beautiful! Gotta love those pink neos. :love:

Lars Kurth 05-29-2011 11:48 AM

Roly:
Quote:

I think that mine is the standard falcata. The tag says Neofinetia falcata - Amami Island
I found out the following about falcata from the Amami Island: "grow larger than normal and bloom later in the season". They may also need to get bigger than other falcata's before they flower. Check out Neofinetia falcata 'Amami Island White' | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DelawareJim 05-29-2011 06:31 PM

Very nice Lars, congratulations. After over wintering a few in the garage, mine are starting to put up some buds. Can't wait to smell that wonderful fragrance. Just wish they lasted longer.

Cheers.
Jim

Roly0217 05-29-2011 06:38 PM

Mine has about 9 mature fans and about 3 more growing so hopefully soon I'll see some blooms.