Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Parts & Equipment (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/parts-and-equipment/)
-   -   "Permanent Markers" that don't fade (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/parts-and-equipment/43917-permanent-markers-dont-fade.html)

rodrigo 02-20-2011 06:26 AM

"Permanent Markers" that don't fade

I've tried about 3 types of different brand "permanent" markers to write on my plant labels. Mostly the ones used for labeling CD's, etc.

But they all seem to fade with the sun after 2-3 months :(

It's real upsetting, since I spend hours cataloging my different Hybrids, etc. and now some of my labels are so faded that it's impossible to read what I had written.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Could somebody recommend a "Permanent Marker" brand that does not fade with the sun?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

camille1585 02-20-2011 08:18 AM

Pencil is generally what will last the longest.
Paint pens are supposed to work pretty well too.

One trick to avoid losing the ID of a plant is to write a second label in marker, and slide that one down into the pot where it's protected from the light. That way if the original one fades beyond reading, you still have a backup one.

tucker85 02-20-2011 08:21 AM

I have the same problem and I will be interested to hear the suggestions you get. The only thing I'm doing right now is putting Scoth Magic Tape over the lable to try to protect the writing. I haven't been doing that long enough to know if it works. I hope we hear some good ideas.

BikerDoc5968 02-20-2011 08:44 AM

I'm with Camille. I use pencils and it works for me. the other option is to spend some $$$$ and purchase a label printer designed for this purpose. It creates a very nice "typed" label. Not sure as to its longevity, but they look great!

Garden Label Maker

Brother Label Printers and P-touch Label Printers

phragguy 02-20-2011 09:14 AM

I use a pencil works great. it is a Sanford,Design Ebony,jey black extra smooth,#14420

silken 02-20-2011 09:30 AM

I too use a lead pencil. Nothing fancy , but it works. I tried the permanent markers and ones called plant markers but they all eventually fade. Pencil is nice and fine and you can get more on the tag too. Camille's idea for putting a 2nd tag down inside is a good one too for if you lose the original. You may take it to a show where someone else is handling your plant and the tag is lost. Then there is still one safe and sound down the side of the pot!

Eyebabe 02-20-2011 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I print labels out from the computer, cut them out, and laminate them with standard "ID card" size pockets.
The expense initially involved buying a small laminating machine, and the pockets. I already had a computer and printer.
I decided to add on to my labels some quick information about the plant like when it usually flowers, how much light it should get, whether it can be placed in the cooler part of the greenhouse or needs to be in the warmer part, etc.
The one thing you can't do when you laminate the label is add information about when you fertilized it last or when it last flowered but I log that separately.
The rubber band method you see attaching the label to the pot (simple hole punch) is NOT working so well as the rubber band begins to deteriorate after a few months. I am slowly replacing them with coated green plant wire :)

Paul 02-20-2011 10:05 AM

Sunlight bleaches out pretty much anything over time. I agree with the others that pencil is the best option.

While it is yet more time consumed cateloging, you might -- as yet an additional backup -- photograph each orchid as it comes into bloom (foliage as well as bloom) and then label the picture with the correct name. Stored on a CD or flashdrive, such a catelog will not take up much room.

Eyebabe 02-20-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 381291)
Sunlight bleaches out pretty much anything over time. I agree with the others that pencil is the best option.

While it is yet more time consumed cateloging, you might -- as yet an additional backup -- photograph each orchid as it comes into bloom (foliage as well as bloom) and then label the picture with the correct name. Stored on a CD or flashdrive, such a catelog will not take up much room.

I very much agree and find this an important point.
ALL labels need to be replaced and updated no matter how you handle your plants.
Thus, regular inspection of the labels and replacing when necessary is important.
The goal is to limit the frequency to a time period that is reasonable.
For me every one or two years works and hopefully my little tags will go the distance :blushing:

Connie Star 02-20-2011 10:39 AM

Has anybody tried using a dremel tool or some such to "engrave" on the plastic tags? I just number my plants and keep a separate log with the numbers and the names corresponding to them.