Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Does anyone else grow .... spanish moss (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/43831-else-grow-spanish-moss.html)

johnblagg 02-16-2011 04:41 PM

Does anyone else grow .... spanish moss

1 Attachment(s)
I snagged two little strands of spanish moss to bring home and am curious anybody else trying to grow it?

Hints tips ect?

Vanda lover 02-16-2011 05:32 PM

I have bought some at an orchid show before, but although I have no trouble keeping my air plants alive, the spanish moss eventually died. Many people use it as a companion plant around an orchid's roots. The info I found on it, said to mist it every few days [same as air plants] and every once in a while to soak it in water with weak fertilizer. My air plants do really well this way. Perhaps I didn't have enough humidity when I tried the moss.

johnblagg 02-16-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanda lover (Post 380506)
I have bought some at an orchid show before, but although I have no trouble keeping my air plants alive, the spanish moss eventually died. Many people use it as a companion plant around an orchid's roots. The info I found on it, said to mist it every few days [same as air plants] and every once in a while to soak it in water with weak fertilizer. My air plants do really well this way. Perhaps I didn't have enough humidity when I tried the moss.

I figured it should be fairly easy if you could get some that was actually alive ..as for placing it around roots ...oh no this I want to grow hanging off a wire.Its not for the benifit of the orchids and I just think its cool hanging off trees in the wild so hang it will.

LOL as for the misting and feeding I got that pretty much just wondered if it would do ok inside?

fotofashion 02-16-2011 07:12 PM

Does anyone else grow.....Spanish Moss

John, where did you find the little piece of Spanish Moss. Does it grow naturally in Missouri? I think it needs plenty of humidity. It grows naturally here on the Texas Gulf Coast but if you want to see lots of it, farther east in Louisiana, for example, is where it is abundant. I sincerely doubt it will grow indoors but as you already have a piece of it to experiment with, might as well try.
Beverly A.

johnblagg 02-16-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fotofashion (Post 380524)
John, where did you find the little piece of Spanish Moss. Does it grow naturally in Missouri? I think it needs plenty of humidity. It grows naturally here on the Texas Gulf Coast but if you want to see lots of it, farther east in Louisiana, for example, is where it is abundant. I sincerely doubt it will grow indoors but as you already have a piece of it to experiment with, might as well try.
Beverly A.

It does not grow here ....I snitched a tiny piece somewhere.Actualy at the Mo bot gardens lol dont beat me Ill be good next time "maybe".....I have lived on the Gulf so I know it grows there LOL ....

Vanda lover 02-16-2011 07:32 PM

I think humidity is the key. My air plants are doing better now that we are in a rain forest area.

Junebug 02-16-2011 08:30 PM

Last summer I snagged some growing wild off of oak tree branches. It loves our heat and humidity and grows extremely well down here.

I tried draping some around and about my some of my newly mounted chids and dangled some from the slat baskets the vandas were planted in. The aerid moss dries within 30 minutes or so and it boosts and maintains the humidity level around the roots without suffocating them. My chids seem to be enjoying the stuff. Now there is less dehydration and more root growth. My plants are grown outdoors and receive great air circulation. Spanish moss might not work well for enclosed indoor environments.

Connie Star 02-16-2011 08:41 PM

I've got some growing around an ascoscentrum. I soak the plant with the moss for a few minutes most days. Like everyone else, I think humidity is the key.

johnblagg 02-16-2011 09:02 PM

lol then Im good I mist it well several times daily just like the mounted chids...in fact it is on the mount with a den loddigesii and that is growing like a weed right now with new leads popping out all over.

jrodpad 02-16-2011 10:15 PM

I bought some at the local greenhouse a while back and it's been doing well draped around the roots of a few orchids and hanging off the trunk of a palm. I mist daily and soak with fertilizer once every other week. So far so good.