Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   Hello from Greece! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/43243-hello-greece.html)

Kostas 01-30-2011 05:03 AM

Hello from Greece!

Hello!

I am Konstantinos Giannopoulos and live in Athens,Greece. I am new to keeping orchids although i do have a Cymbidium planted in my Pyrgos Garden that is doing well and flowering annually. I like epiphytes in general very much,although i dont currently grow many, and wish i had the required rainfall to grow them high on trees! Palms and Cycads are my soft spot and enjoy growing many species of them more than anything else! I like everything tropical though and enjoy a garden with a good deal of biodiversity rather than a single type of vegetation. I have a garden in Pyrgos,Peloponissos,Greece and enjoy tending it and adding more and more plants! Its mainly a palm garden but i am slowly building its biodiversity and trying to make it a rainforest type garden as the rainy climate with not much below 0C tempratures permits somewhat.
I have also been keeping tropical fish(mainly catfish of the Loricariidae family)for years.

I look forward to learning many new things here about orchid growing the potted and mainly the natural way(on mounts or trees:biggrin:) as there surely are many awesome species!

Best regards,
-Konstantinos

CTB 01-30-2011 05:11 AM

Over 16,000 members here from around the World. Many have several hobbies. You should fit right in. Hope you ask lots of questions. Please enjoy!

RosieC 01-30-2011 10:22 AM

Welcome to Orchid Board :welcome:

Kostas 01-30-2011 05:59 PM

Thank you very much Carol and Rosie for the warm welcome! :)

I will make sure to ask a lot :biggrin:

Christi 01-31-2011 12:31 PM

welcome kostas. this is a great community, full of caring people

PinkCloud 01-31-2011 04:10 PM

καλώς ορίσατε! (I only study Biblical Greek so I hope I spelled it right.. ) :D Good to have you with us.

Vanda lover 01-31-2011 05:24 PM

Welcome to orchid board! Your garden sounds fantastic! I love growing tropicals, too. We get a little below freezing here, but we can grow a type of palm [windmill] and some other sub tropicals, such as kiwi vines. We are trying to give our yard a tropical look with plants such as Palms, hibiscus and hardy banana. It isn't quite warm enough for year round Cymbidium, though!

jim blanford 01-31-2011 06:34 PM

WELCOME!! To the OB, from Chicago, Il. Can't wait to see pics of your garden.... Jim.

Zoi2 01-31-2011 07:45 PM

Hello and welcome to the OB.
Joann

trdyl 02-01-2011 11:28 AM

Welcome to OB!