Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Why a NoID is a NoID. (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/43220-noid-noid.html)

FairyInTheFlowers 01-29-2011 11:17 AM

Why a NoID is a NoID.

I am sure you all have them, NoIDs, the plants you buy at the big-box stores, and even home-improvement stores. But you might wonder, what exactly makes an orchid a NoID?:hmm Essentially, the fact of having no name makes an orchid a NoID, which is pretty much self-explanitory. But there are several reasons why they may never lose that status. One, even if it looks like a spieces, there are large chances that there is something else bred in it. This is even more true for complex hybrids of any genus, there is just way to many hybrids to accurately put a name on it. The main reasons for this is that there are many hybrids that can have a HUGE variation in color and shape, and there are many diferent hybrids that have the same color and shape. Now even if you think you have the "correct" identification, there are several dangers of trying to put a name on a NoID. First of, judging. Though many of you may never take an orchid in for judging, if there is just one hint of doubt of the proper name of an orchid, it might not even get judged, and if it happens to win a prize, any hybrids with that plant are going to have an iffy parent. This throws a GIANT wrench into the judging system. Now you might say that you are never goign to take that orchid in an have it judged, but lets say you give a division or keiki to a friend, tell them the name you think it is, and they have it judged. Once more, that can throw a wrench in the judging system. Now please don't get offended with this, because I am just trying to state the facts without sounding mean or trying to take your hope away. There are a few cases where the orchid might be you own plant, and you loose its name, but find it years later, or you forget the name of a plant your friend gave you, where you can get the name from them. I hope you people learn a lot from this post, as I am sure that there are many NoID lovers out there, and they are usually a persons first orchid! HAPPY ORCHID GROWING! :biggrin:

Vanda lover 01-29-2011 11:51 AM

I bought an oncidium type orchid at a Home Depot. It turned out to be a lovely Brascidium. It's a nice surprise.

Connie Star 01-29-2011 01:55 PM

Can you bring Noids to a show to be judged? Our local society's show is coming up and I have a couple of gorgeous Noid phals. They make me just as happy as the ID'd ones.

FairyInTheFlowers 01-29-2011 03:02 PM

I am pretty sure the answer would be no, Connie. The reason for this is that the first thing they ask for is the plant's name, and I think it is required that you have to plant's parents on the name tag. This would be impossible with a NoID, so they would not judge it.

RobS 01-29-2011 04:12 PM

Don't forget that many of the mass produced hybrids haven't been named.

Connie Star 01-29-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlazingAugust (Post 375988)
I am pretty sure the answer would be no, Connie. The reason for this is that the first thing they ask for is the plant's name, and I think it is required that you have to plant's parents on the name tag. This would be impossible with a NoID, so they would not judge it.

Bummer :(

Vanda lover 01-29-2011 04:37 PM

That is very true! In fact, I have a Phrag seedling that I bought from a grower, and it is labeled ? Because he couldn't remember what 2 Phrags he crossed! I've been waiting 6 years to find out, but I'm very hopeful that it will bloom this year.

Anisa 01-29-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanda lover (Post 376013)
That is very true! In fact, I have a Phrag seedling that I bought from a grower, and it is labeled ? Because he couldn't remember what 2 Phrags he crossed! I've been waiting 6 years to find out, but I'm very hopeful that it will bloom this year.

According to OP whenyour plant blooms you still wont be able to have parents' names. Unless the look of a bloom triggers grower's memory. But the chances are that if she/he forgot to document a cross 6 years later it would be even harder to remember.

Vanda lover 01-29-2011 08:17 PM

He did tell me to send him a photo of it when it blooms, and that he would be able to tell me what it is at that time. I guess it will partly depend on how mant phrags he has and how different they are.

PaphMadMan 01-29-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie Star (Post 375970)
Can you bring Noids to a show to be judged? Our local society's show is coming up and I have a couple of gorgeous Noid phals. They make me just as happy as the ID'd ones.

They can't be judged for awards, of course, and generally not for ribbons either. But in most cases they can be part of your local society's exhibit anyway, so you can get them out there for others to see and help your society have a great exhibit.