Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Cattleya with red foliage (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/42212-cattleya-red-foliage.html)

lovemychids 12-30-2010 08:21 AM

Cattleya with red foliage

Hi ,
I am a new orchid grower...since 2008.
I have a variety of orchids (mostly hybrids) from catts, phals, cymbidiums, vandas, oncidiums , dendrobiums...I have had success in some... but unfortunately killed a few...I learned a lot from reading threads in the orchidboard....but still learning.

I have one red cattleya plant that blooms every winter and has a vigorous growth habbit. Unfortunately, when it blooms, the leaves are almost as red as the flowers....
I'm just wondering if that's normal? I read somewhere that red leaves indicate too much light... although, I am not sure if I should reduce light ... as it might stop blooming....

Any comments would be appreciated.

orchidvalley 12-30-2010 09:29 AM

Pictures

Can you post a picture? Does it have a tag with a name?

tuvoc 12-30-2010 09:52 AM

Some hybrids will have redish foliage with good light, especially the darker ones. If it's growing and blooming, it's happy. Just keep doing whatever it is you're doing, and enjoy your chid.

Kim

Zoi2 12-30-2010 10:27 AM

I agree with Kim, it's the sunlight and if it's blooming, it's happy.
Joann

CTB 12-30-2010 11:01 AM

My catts. turn somewhat red in the cold months., I also give them lots of light. I think the red is rather pretty.

Anisa 12-30-2010 11:07 AM

Red on foliage is a good sign, any other color wouldnt :D.... except for green ;) You are doing everything fine!

Call_Me_Bob 12-30-2010 11:35 AM

i agree with the above! is it still in bloom? if so, do you have any pictures? we love pictures :D

Bolero 12-30-2010 03:50 PM

I also agree with the others. I have a couple of catt's with red leaves like you describe and I am not sure what's in the background that causes this to happen but it appears to be safe and natural.

lovemychids 12-31-2010 12:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
WOW !! Thanks everyone !! It's so encouraging to get replies so quickly !

Sorry Bob, I just renovated the 2nd floor and misplaced all my picture CDs... so I could not show you the actual bloom. I am attaching a couple of pictures...
(Sorry , I could not get the orientation right)

The first one shows how red the leaves are... I moved some of the other plants closer to compare..
Actually, it's not as red now (it's summer here in Sydney), as it would get in Winter( when it blooms)... I was just worried I may have been doing something wrong...

The tag says it's a cross between Blc. Burdekin Storm ‘Midnight’ and Pot. Sally Taylor ‘Red’...
If you google photos of Blc. Burdekin Storm ‘Midnight’... it is very similar.. they were large flowers that looked like velvet....

The second picture is my little new vanda I bought last winter. It was a young plant and surprised me with a spike a couple of months ago... My first vanda bloom ever !! :cheer: (Vasco. Crownfox Frazzle Dazzle 'Magenta Magic')... showing good potential... i think....

Thanks again...

lovemychids 12-31-2010 12:31 AM

:)