Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pleurothallis Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pleurothallis-alliance/)
-   -   Masdevallia angel fling- yellowing spike :( (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pleurothallis-alliance/41419-masdevallia-angel-fling-yellowing-spike.html)

Call_Me_Bob 11-27-2010 05:02 PM

Masdevallia angel fling- yellowing spike :(

1 Attachment(s)
i have had this guy for about a month. he started spiking about three weeks ago. and has two new growths and this spike, all growing nicely...until now.

the spike is truning yellow. it looked fine last night, but i was super tired, so i might have missed it. originally it had been a nice green color, the same as the rest of the plant

please help! this i my first masdie, and im super nervous. by the way, im watering with filtered tap, if i can. ive only watered with normal tap once or twice. but i emailed j&l and they said that tap would be fine. the ph of the tap is 7 and the ph of the filtered tap is 6.5

Gin 11-27-2010 07:17 PM

Hi Bob , I had the same thing happen awhile back . :( It will re spike for you, sorry about the trouble , .. Not much you can do but wait to see what happens :(

Call_Me_Bob 11-27-2010 08:00 PM

:_(

so there is nothing to do? :_( it does have two new growth...but still :(

is there any chance it will be okay?

is there anything i did wrong?

Gin 11-27-2010 09:30 PM

No my friend you did not do anything wrong, it is hard to tell from the picture if it will bloom or not, there is really not anything you can do just wait too see what happens, there is always a chance it will bloom but the yellowing is not promising .. Gin

King_of_orchid_growing:) 11-27-2010 10:34 PM

Check the roots.

J&L grows their Masdevallias too wet.

I just got a few from them.

Call_Me_Bob 11-28-2010 12:15 AM

im nervouse to unpot this guy. do you think i should? its potted in freefern ( i think ) pieces and sphag

King_of_orchid_growing:) 11-28-2010 01:22 AM

Yes.

RosieC 11-28-2010 04:29 AM

I was nervous unpotting my first Masdie, but if the roots are healthy they are suprisingly robust. If the roots fall to pieces they were rotten and it's best to know about it.

My first Masdie spike blasted and the roots were fine so it may not be related. I think mine blasted because it got to warm, but then it is a very cool loving species.

I would advise taking a look at the roots to make sure they are OK, if they are you can just pot it back up and then at least you know.

Call_Me_Bob 11-28-2010 11:13 AM

should i just pot it back up in the same stuff then? this is really freaking me out! i thought i was past this nervous stage! the roots at the top look healthy. it is an warmer hybrid as well. ill try to take a took

RosieC 11-28-2010 11:41 AM

If you don't have any fresh medium to put it in then yes, just take it out, have a look and put it back in the same stuff.

When you check out the roots, see what the medium seems like as well. If it seems it may be breaking down then get some new stuff to replace it.

I do find that Masdies grow well in moss and while I don't generally grow in moss I do grow my Masdies in moss.