Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Artificially Blue Orchids? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/41071-artificially-blue-orchids.html)

mrsdepew 11-15-2010 08:41 AM

Artificially Blue Orchids?

Hello All,
My local florist has on occasion offered blue orchids for sale. But I'm pretty sure these are probably just white phalaenopsis that have been watered with colored water, as the color is quite electric sky blue.
However, the color is quite lovely and I have considered buying them but I have reservations. Would artificial color be bad for the plant after a while?
If it re-blooms white several months later I guess I would know but I don't want to buy a plant that just going to die from unnatural treatment.
Any experience or suggestions?
Thank you,

Anna

katierkincaid 11-15-2010 10:13 AM

I too am interested to hear the answer to this question. I have never seen a blue orchid but would love to.

Melody 11-15-2010 10:35 AM

Hi Anna,
Welcome to the Orchid Board!

As far as I know the only way to dye orchid flowers is to first cut the spike off of the plant. The cut flowers will last the same amount of time as other cut orchid flowers if they are well cared for.

There is no true blue in the orchid world, but there is such a menagerie of colors, shapes, etc. that there is something for everyone. Orchids are beautiful and exotic. If you are interested in orchids, you should do a little research and see if one might find it's way to your windowsill. :biggrin:
Note: when you here the word "blue" in the orchid world it normally refers to a shade of purple.

P.S. Most of the dyed electric blue orchids that I've seen are actually dendrobiums not phals.

katierkincaid 11-15-2010 10:38 AM

Did you ask the lady at the flower shop if she "dyes" the blooms?

King_of_orchid_growing:) 11-15-2010 10:39 AM

Actually, there are true blue orchids, but they're super, super rare in cultivation and in the wild.

Most of the flowers from the genus Thelymitra are actual blue.

Disa graminifolia is true blue.

Thelymitras are in cultivation but are very difficult to purchase in the US. They are mostly sold in Australia and certain parts of Europe.

Same goes for Disa graminifolia, but it has the added "bonus" of being a bit difficult to grow, as its growing habits are somewhat poorly understood. This one is solely found in cultivation in a small number of private collections in South Africa.

Sorry, I can't answer the original question, I don't know what they used to dye the flower with.

Melody 11-15-2010 10:52 AM

I found this post by lambelkip from 2008 on a similiar thread:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Quote:

Has anyone fed living plants with fertilizer solutions containing permanent dyes?
it's been tried, but it only works with cut flowers. roots will not pass the dye into the xylem. with cut flowers, the xylem is open, and the dye is drawn in with the water.
Quote:

Most of the flowers from the genus Thelymitra are actual blue.
Disa graminifolia is true blue.
cool! I never heard of these. Disa graminifolia looks like a lovely delicate flower.

mrsdepew 11-15-2010 11:31 AM

Picture

2 Attachment(s)
I snapped a picture of them in an attempt to subtly suggest it to my husband that I really wanted one.
I have 3 phalaenopsis so far and those are the most commonly sold orchids here in my region.
I live in Norway (military wife) and orchids are madly popular here as it's a local tradition to bring them as hostess gifts.
If I see them again, I'll definitely be bringing one home.

On another note, I'm wondering if I'll be able to transport my orchids back to the states when we move home next year. Does anyone have any experience with shipping plants overseas?

I'm very grateful for all of your help. I'm new to orchids and very anxious to learn anything I can.

Pilot 11-15-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsdepew (Post 359496)
I snapped a picture of them in an attempt to subtly suggest it to my husband that I really wanted one.
I have 3 phalaenopsis so far and those are the most commonly sold orchids here in my region.
I live in Norway (military wife) and orchids are madly popular here as it's a local tradition to bring them as hostess gifts.
If I see them again, I'll definitely be bringing one home.

On another note, I'm wondering if I'll be able to transport my orchids back to the states when we move home next year. Does anyone have any experience with shipping plants overseas?

I'm very grateful for all of your help. I'm new to orchids and very anxious to learn anything I can.

Now those are crazy-looking flowers!!! I haven't the slightest clue how they got these flowers to look like this as I have never seen anything like it. Could dye be injected into the spikes? Fascinating.

As for bringing your plants back. First, find out where you guy will be going, then I would buy a phyto cert from the USDA, then pack them well and ship them to the States. Send them to someone who can care for them in the interim. If you can't do that, I believe you'll be able to hand-carry them with you with a phyto cert but be prepared for customers to look over them thoroughly. If possible, bring them bare-root (gives customs less to pick through).

ingse 11-15-2010 12:41 PM

I have seen Phalaenopsis hybrids with a small hole on the flowerstem and the rim of the hole was pink.
This is a picture of some Phals that i think just had to be artificialy dyed with pink and blue color.
Its not likely that they will have the same strange coloring if they flower again. Picasa Web Albums - Inger - Gothenburg in...

camille1585 11-15-2010 02:12 PM

I was at an orchidshow in my city in France last month and one of the growers was selling some 'blue' phals. He says that he waters the (white blooming) plants with some special dye when the blooms are nearly all open, and within a few hours the blooms turn blue. As far as he knows it's non toxic for the plant, and they'll bloom perfectly fine (and white) afterwards.

As for shipping plants for the USA, not only do you need a phyto certificate, you will need CITES documents as well. A CITES form is good for one genus only, so if you want to send orchids from 5 genera for example, you will need 5 forms. I think in the US a CITES certificat costs something like $50-60, don't know about prices in europe. One thing you might need (but am not certain about) is import and/or export permits. Seeing the huge hassle that it is, if you just have plain supermarket Phals you may be better off giving them away and getting new ones in the USA.