Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   About this board (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/about-this-board/)
-   -   aggravatin crap ADS (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/about-this-board/40212-aggravatin-crap-ads.html)

RJSquirrel 10-18-2010 07:39 AM

aggravatin crap ADS

okey this place locks up cold the computer when i try to log in and sit and sit and sit..all these goddamn ads loading up..Im gettin real tired of it. If I wanted to sit I can sit and watch TV..not sit and watch ads trying to load up..LIGHTEN the DAMN ADS ...make them more compatible with old browsers and cut out all the fancy damn graphics as no one reads the cRAP anyway..starting to get to me and I cant stand much more of it and I dont have 10 freekin dollars to cut the stuff off

RosieC 10-18-2010 08:26 AM

I understand your frustration, but unfortunately Marty needs to place adverts to enable him to pay for the servers.

It is always his intention to keep Orchid Board free and it's so great that orchid board is so popular, but that success causes a problem that we need better servers. Only a few months ago a new server was put in place which was a stretch to afford.

While some people donate to help there is not enough money raised that way and so the only way to fund the running of the site is to put adverts in. Marty doesn't get much say what goes in the adverts, it's a service from Google which pays the website to display it. What you see depends on all sorts of things, such as where you are in the world and what key-words are on the page you are viewing (hence we see lots of adverts for Orchid/plant related things because that's what the sort of words google is picking up on our site).

It is unfortunately that it causes problems on slower connections, but it is impossible to run a site for free without having some way of raising the money needed.

I must admit on my connection I don't notice it, even when I'm not logged in and therefore getting the adds, but I know what it's like working on slow connections when I have to connect to customer sites which can be infuriatingly slow. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way arround it.:(

cb977 10-18-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJSquirrel (Post 352463)
okey this place locks up cold the computer when i try to log in and sit and sit and sit..all these goddamn ads loading up..Im gettin real tired of it. If I wanted to sit I can sit and watch TV..not sit and watch ads trying to load up..LIGHTEN the DAMN ADS ...make them more compatible with old browsers and cut out all the fancy damn graphics as no one reads the cRAP anyway..starting to get to me and I cant stand much more of it and I dont have 10 freekin dollars to cut the stuff off

My first suggestion is going to be "take a deep breath" because no matter how annoyed you are, there's no reason for you to post the stuff you have in this thread. If there's a problem, feel free to contact any of the mods and/or admins but posts full of "damn" and "crap" isn't the way to go.

The ads help to keep this site going...nobody is forced to pay for any part of the information at Orchidboard but many of us do because we love it so much. Every once in a while, we get some complaints about something in particular and it is addressed as quickly as it can be. Are you on dial-up? Have you maybe tried a different browser such as Firefox rather than Internet Explorer?

I will do all I can to help you but the ads are not going to totally disappear...they are what makes this a free site to you.

:haveagreatday:

Tindomul 10-18-2010 03:33 PM

I agree with both posts above. One last bit of advice, perhaps you can try safari. I too was experiencing slow load times on orchid board when using firefox (I gave up on internet explorer 5 years ago) and since my switch everything comes up faster.

You have a right to vent your frustrations but please keep it cordial from now on.

CTB 10-20-2010 04:25 PM

RJ, I have found that if I go into another site first and switch over, or use an e-mail notification of post to go into site, it doesn't take near as long, as going from internet explorer cold. Experiment a little you should see a difference or a way around the problem. I thought it was my computer causing the problem at first.

RJSquirrel 10-23-2010 01:27 AM

sorry... cordial wasnt on the menu and then I had to go look it up..

but whatever you all did in the past week the sites not locking up the "c3 open X" and the "D1 open x"whatever that is..

and yes I will make a note to inform the admins in the future If I feel its an issue thats admin attention worthy...No more posts without being cordial 1st...I am working on "manners wit banners" I remind you :)

I understand through our IT that d1 open x is problematic as of late with new security software thats being installed....sees it as a virus..anyway I dont know really just know all is well this night and thank you :)

cb977 10-23-2010 07:05 PM

:Tup:

RJSquirrel 10-24-2010 06:38 AM

and we are going to turn this into a PLUS PLUS!!
paid my 10 bucks up :)
so all of you reading this go ahead and give em the ten bucks its just the right thing to do if we are going to use the site on a regular basis.

Other than the ADS, its the REAL support base for the OB forum. So just go ahead and give em ten bucks :) Ten bucks isnt going to hurt your orchid budget any and its for good people and a good cause..

cb977 10-24-2010 08:24 AM

:cheer:

:thankyou

phal-newbie 10-24-2010 01:04 PM

I do not understand the "TEN BUCKS" ??? Is there some fee on OB now ? Who is asking for $10 ?