Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   Which orchids do I have? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/39866-orchids.html)

Bruna 10-04-2010 12:53 PM

Which orchids do I have?

Hello Everyone,

I am a total beginner and have some lovely orchids. Will you help me identify them? I know I have 4 Vanda crosses or Ascocenda crosses, a Candelaria (common name) Cymbidiums, and magical red Epidendrum that I can not find any info about, plus a very beautiful Lycaste with spectacular red blossoms. All help would be extremely appreciated. I live in Antigua, Guatemala and the garden receives lots of rain this time of year and 50% filtered sunshine.

Thanks so much,
Bruna

PS I could not attach my pictures, so they are in my album. I hope the following is the link to my album. Sorry for inconvenience.

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Tindomul 10-04-2010 02:27 PM

Hi Welcome to the Orchid Board. Can you please link us to your album. You can post link of your photos from your album to your post.
Also if you want to upload pics to your post simply go to advanced options and click manage attachments.
If your pictures are too large to attach you can use the snippet tool (I love this thing) if you have one on your computer and you can literally take a snippet of your photo, which reduces the number of bytes the photo takes up without sacrificing the size of the photo.

Bruna 10-04-2010 03:21 PM

Thank you for helping me, however the uploading of photos replies, after quite a bit of time that I am missing a "security token". How do I link to my album other than posting photos as they are - you can get to them by clicking my name - is there a more convenient way. This is extremely confusing to me - I'm sorry.

CTB 10-04-2010 05:27 PM

Nice pics, Welcome to the orchid board, I see you have a couple of vanda types they are my favorite, enjoy!

Connie Star 10-04-2010 10:34 PM

Welcome to Orchid Board.
I think the Candelaria is an Arundela, which is an exotic that grows all over Central America. Exotic or not, it is one of my favorite orchids.
I've never been to Guatemala, but I've spent a lot of time in Costa Rica. I'm envious of your Vandas- they are beautiful.

got ants 10-04-2010 11:28 PM

Is that a Lucuala grandis palm behind the epidendrum?

Bruna 10-04-2010 11:54 PM

Yes it is! What kind of Epidendrum do you think it is?

got ants 10-05-2010 10:29 AM

I have no ID on the epi. I have a few and one that colour, but I think it;s just a NOID.

Bruna 10-05-2010 10:40 AM

Thank you for your reply, but what is a NOID? What about the Vando/Ascocenda crosses, plus the very beautiful Lycaste

cowboy51278 10-05-2010 10:45 AM

Just a heads up, your lycaste appears to be a Cycnodes (Mormodes X Cycnoches) and its probably Cycnodes Wine Delight. They look good!

trdyl 10-05-2010 10:54 AM

I am pretty sure that your Candelaria is Arundina graminifolia. Seeing the front face of the bloom would help.

Bruna 10-05-2010 11:00 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Do you have one? Anything special about care? How much light should I give it, which food, and how many times will it bloom under the best of conditions. Thank you once again!

RosieC 10-05-2010 01:56 PM

Welcome to Orchid Board Bruna :welcome:

I'm not going ot be able to help in ID's and you may find some of them you will never know more than the genus as sometimes there are so many unregistered hybrids it's impossible to know what you have. Phals are a good example of that, but I think Vandas/Ascocenda could have the same problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruna (Post 349900)
Thank you for your reply, but what is a NOID?

NoID means "No ID" and we use the term NoID to refer to plants which we can't find an exact ID for. As I said above some plants will always be NoID. Nothing wrong with them for that, I make up names for my NoIDs to help me know which is which, my names just have no meaning to anyone but me (and possibly my hubbie) :biggrin:

Bruna 10-05-2010 02:44 PM

Thank you Rosie. Each day my ignorance with this site lessens a little more! I know the blue Vandas are from the super important Vanda coerulea hybrids; perhaps even the fuschia and purple ones. Do you know how to tell the difference between a Vanda and an Ascocenda?
Once again, thank you for your help.

RosieC 10-05-2010 03:08 PM

I'm afraid I don't know the difference myself. Maybe others do.

Bruna 10-05-2010 03:17 PM

Thanks for not making me feel silly, Rosie!

Connie Star 10-05-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trdyl (Post 349905)
I am pretty sure that your Candelaria is Arundina graminifolia. Seeing the front face of the bloom would help.

Ted's right- I mis-spelled the genus name. It's still one of my favorites.:blushing: