Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Safe fungicide for orchids? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/39524-safe-fungicide-orchids.html)

mycuppybear 09-20-2010 11:04 PM

Safe fungicide for orchids?

Hi, does anyone have any experience with Bonide Infuse? It's a systemic fungicide and I want to know if it's safe on orchids-says it's fine for flowers, but doesn't specifically mention orchids so it's always hard to know. I also have Daconil. Anyone used this? I read that systemic fungicides work well because they are absorbed by the roots into the plant, which is why I bought Bonide. Thanks for any ideas.

RJSquirrel 09-24-2010 11:27 PM

Havent used the Bonide.
Used the Daconil before.
Since its good to ROTATE your bactofungimildewisous medicine I went with Consan 20 this time bec
Consan® Triple Action 20
Home and Garden Fungicide/Algaecide/Mildewcide/Disinfectant/Deodorizer/Sanitizer..is good for just about any and all of it. Even scrub yer toilet seat with it if you want :)

Havent even seen any Bonide around here, in fact cant find any Physan in this small town of 5 million either.

stefpix 09-24-2010 11:30 PM

I used Daconil but it is so thick not fluid that seems not too nice to use indoors. It is almost slimy...

RJSquirrel 09-25-2010 12:54 AM

From the PAN report on chemical Toxicity for Bonide systemic fungicide

Propiconazole active ingredient is a possible carcinogen

Endocrine Disruptor ...Suspected

Development and Reproductive Toxin = high toxicity in this area

PAN says Daconil contains a carcinogen too and plenty use it..but it wont shut your body down and it wont make you have mutant children

I would NOT USE Bonide...I wouldnt even touch the stuff

PAN Pesticide Database

Ray 09-25-2010 09:39 AM

Cleary's 3336WP is a commonly used orchid fungicide.

susiep 09-25-2010 10:27 AM

I have learned a lot about fungus on orchids over the last 2 years. I learned the hard way after getting the dreaded "black rot" in my collection. I lost many Catts. So where you live and which fungus you are talking about makes a big difference. To get my fungus problem under control, I ended up using a mixture of of Dithane and Thiomyl. Plus a lot of cutting away of the affected areas. It was completely safe to the plants, no adverse effects at all. I worry about what it is doing to me, however. With fungus, prevention is the key.

ericst11 09-25-2010 11:23 AM

Can you just use physan20 on it or will it not work?

tucker85 09-25-2010 11:31 AM

I have also used a mixture of Dithane and Thiomyl. It seemed to work well. I also use physan 20 quite a bit which controls both fungus and bacteria. I noticed yesterday that Norman's Orchids (orchids.com) recommends physan 27 which I've never used before.

ericst11 09-25-2010 11:52 AM

I wounder whats the differance.

susiep 09-25-2010 04:15 PM

Tucker, I think it is Physan 20 (benzyl ammonium chloride) and Phyton 27 (copper sulphate pentahydrate). Phyton 27 will kill some orchids. Supposedly for Phals only, but for sure NOT ON DENS.

Eric, Physan seems to help prevent some fungus, but won't treat the agressive kind. You need the big guns for that.