Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   moth orchid moss smells moldy (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/39509-moth-orchid-moss-smells-moldy.html)

lovesflowers 09-20-2010 11:58 AM

moth orchid moss smells moldy

Hello. I bought a moth orchid in bloom one week ago. It is potted in a terracotta pot and the roots are covered with moss. When I watered it this morning (the moss was dry) it was immediately apparent that the moss smells very moldy! Is this normal or deadly? I have no idea. The orchid leaves and flowers look beautiful and healthy. Can anyone give a novice some advice? This is one of the most beautiful orchids I have ever seen, but it came without a name from Wegmans grocery store. Thank you.

IncredibleOrchids 09-20-2010 01:35 PM

I would throw out the moss if it smells moldy. The moss is for decoration and not necessary for growing a healthy plant. If the moss gets really moldy, it could hurt the roots in the long run.

Good luck and happy growing!

jrodpad 09-20-2010 01:44 PM

Wegmans!!! How I miss this supermarket. I went to school in upstate NY (Binghamton) and the only supermarket worth a hoot was Wegmans. I miss that place.

Agree with IO - you should swap out the sphag moss - it's probably been sitting around in there for ages. If you swap out the old moss for new moss, keep in mind you have to put in new moss every year. If you swap out the old moss for bark mix you only have to change every 2 years (usually).

Tell Wegmans I said hello.

- J

lovesflowers 09-23-2010 07:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. Now I have another question. The two lowest leaves of this new moth orchid are almost horizontal, and the next two above them are lifting upward. My 3 other moth orchids that have been growing on the same windowsill for eight months ( a south facing but shady window) are completely different. They lay drooping straight down flat against the pot! Is this normal? Thank you again.

Call_Me_Bob 09-23-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrodpad (Post 346639)
Wegmans!!! How I miss this supermarket. I went to school in upstate NY (Binghamton) and the only supermarket worth a hoot was Wegmans. I miss that place.

Agree with IO - you should swap out the sphag moss - it's probably been sitting around in there for ages. If you swap out the old moss for new moss, keep in mind you have to put in new moss every year. If you swap out the old moss for bark mix you only have to change every 2 years (usually).

Tell Wegmans I said hello.

- J

the wegmans near me has named orchids!! and not just phals, they have other genera!!! a guy from our OS works there

i agree with that said above, take the moss out, specially if it smells bad

silken 09-23-2010 09:16 PM

Some pictures of the droopy plants would be helpful. It sounds like they are lacking water, either due to drought or root rot. But if they are firm and healthy looking, and the plants grow new leaves, they should be OK. What are they growing in? I have left some Phals in sphagnum moss as they just seem to thrive, but for others, they need some bark or their roots would rot.