Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Phalaenopsis flower spike with five branches (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/39169-phalaenopsis-flower-spike-five-branches.html)

johny_pathrose 09-09-2010 05:01 AM

Phalaenopsis flower spike with five branches

I am a newbie, have had a four year old Phalaenopsis that has bloomed all along with single spikes that have branched after the flowers wilted. I now have this new spike thats up with five branches simultaneously and all of them with about 5-6 buds on them. Is it normal?

CTB 09-09-2010 07:55 AM

Great, sometimes when you cut back a spike you can get it to boost a dormant eye and start a new branch'

What you have I'm trying to do with a cloning gel that promote branching, yes I think its a little unusual to do it on its own. Five branches off of one spike is a lot I've only had two. But enjoy!

nenella 09-09-2010 08:16 AM

Sounds lovely! Please show us a photo if you can as we love seeing pictures!

jrodpad 09-09-2010 09:10 AM

Hi Johny,

First, welcome to the OB!

With respect to branching, I remember reading somewhere (could be on this board) that as phals age, those with the genetic propensity to develop branching flower spikes, tend to branch out more and more. Thus, a branching phal might not branch much in its first few flowering seasons, perhaps only as secondary flowering after the first bunch of flowers expire; but as such a phal matures, it will grow into its full branching potential.

Sounds good, right? I have no confidence that this is true information however, as I can't seem to find where I read this.... so take it as an unsubstantiated orchid myth for now.

Any phal experts have any thoughts? Am I making this up completely or is this true?

Sorry for the confusion!

- J

Royal 09-09-2010 10:55 AM

Yes, it can take several years for an orchid to reach its full potential.

Bird Song Farm 09-09-2010 01:40 PM

Phals that mature with lots of branching are referred to as "multi floral" It is something some breeders strive for.
Phal. Nobby's Amy comes to mind as one that has this propensity.

Lady Tottington 09-09-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bird Song Farm (Post 343949)
Phals that mature with lots of branching are referred to as "multi floral" It is something some breeders strive for.
Phal. Nobby's Amy comes to mind as one that has this propensity.

Thanks for that name! Are there any others that you all can think of?

Bird Song Farm 09-09-2010 04:34 PM

Baldan's Kaleidoscope 'Golden Treasure" is a very good one. Gets to be a big plant though.

A Google search for multifloral phalaenopsis turned up this page:

multi-floral phalaenoipsis - Google Search

johny_pathrose 09-10-2010 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTB (Post 343874)
Great, sometimes when you cut back a spike you can get it to boost a dormant eye and start a new branch'

What you have I'm trying to do with a cloning gel that promote branching, yes I think its a little unusual to do it on its own. Five branches off of one spike is a lot I've only had two. But enjoy!

Thank you Carol, I guess it's one happy plant!

johny_pathrose 09-10-2010 05:09 AM

Thank you for the response.