Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   To fertilize or not to fertilize... That is my Question (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/38680-fertilize-fertilize-question.html)

Rachelle-lapensee 08-24-2010 11:35 AM

To fertilize or not to fertilize... That is my Question

Hello Everyone!!!

I was wondering if fertilizing my Orchids is a smart way to go for me (giving my inexperience with Orchids)? I have 2 healthy Phals at the moment.. one of my phals is still very small, and the other is a decent size and just lost it's spike.

Would it be a smart idea to fertilize my orchids or would it be smarter to leave them be??

johnblagg 08-24-2010 11:40 AM

fertilize regular

RosieC 08-24-2010 12:00 PM

Best is to fertilise 'weakly weekly'.

This basically means to fertilise every week but not to strongly each time.

If a fertiliser is designed for orchids, take a look at what the bottle says. If it says monthly then use a quarter strength weekly. If it says every other week, use half strength weekly, if it says weekly use it as described.

The thing to remember is to flush plain water through the pot once a month. I fertilise three weeks out of four and just water with plain water on the fourth, making sure plenty of water flows through the pot to remove any build-up of fertiliser salts.

trdyl 08-24-2010 12:04 PM

Fertilizing weekly weakly is the way to go.

Cym Ladye 08-24-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trdyl (Post 339828)
Fertilizing weekly weakly is the way to go.

ABSOLUTELY - ALL YEAR LONG!

Rachelle-lapensee 08-24-2010 03:27 PM

Thank you for the advice. now I have made pots for my phals out of clear plastic containers so that they get the light they need to the roots( and so I can see if they need watering). thing is i made sure to put enough drainage in the bottom so that the water flows right threw, therefore I dunk them for about 10-30 seconds in distilled water to allow the bark and roots to soak up the water and then remove them from the water.

Is it safe to put the fertilizer right in the water that I dunk them in and allow them to soak it up the same way I have been doing???

nenella 08-24-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachelle-lapensee (Post 339875)
Thank you for the advice. now I have made pots for my phals out of clear plastic containers so that they get the light they need to the roots( and so I can see if they need watering). thing is i made sure to put enough drainage in the bottom so that the water flows right threw, therefore I dunk them for about 10-30 seconds in distilled water to allow the bark and roots to soak up the water and then remove them from the water.

Is it safe to put the fertilizer right in the water that I dunk them in and allow them to soak it up the same way I have been doing???

Yes it is better to soak with the fertilizer than do it on a second time round! and as Rosie says above, flush with clear water once a month...
Also, the medium your plants are planted in is important as well as your conditions; Huimdity etc..... Only water phals when roots become a grey/silvery colour.

PS: In my conditions I water phals in bark mix once a week or more, those in spagh moss every 10/14 days depending on the weather (humidity etc)
A very good beginners method in how to know if your plants need watering is to put a skewer into the pot.
there are many posts on OB about this look them up. Good Luck!

RosieC 08-24-2010 03:56 PM

Yeap, as Nenella says, put it in the watering water and let them soak it up. I leave mine for 15-20min in the dunk, then drain them.

It's important to remember the plain water flush on a regular basis. I aim for either once a month, or every 4 waterings for those that are watered less requently.

nenella 08-24-2010 04:35 PM

I forgot to mention, I soak for about 15 mins too. Thanks Rosie!

Rachelle-lapensee 08-24-2010 05:00 PM

Thank-you, thank-you, Thank-you, For the amazing tips.

I will put these to good use on my next watering!!!