Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Odd smell from mix and help potting a Zygonisia Cynosure (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/37706-odd-smell-mix-help-potting-zygonisia-cynosure.html)

Syrinth 07-25-2010 05:05 PM

Odd smell from mix and help potting a Zygonisia Cynosure

Hello, I was going to repot my zygonisia cynosure today and when I went to get my mix that I had left soaking I noticed a strong smell similar to that of manure. Additionally, the mix is comprised of a LOT of very small pieces of perlite and very large bark chunks.

I left the mix soaking for about two weeks unintentionally, things kept drawing my attention... could this explain the smell?

I'm concerned about whether this mix is safe to use, or if I should just scrap it?

Lastly, any help on repotting the Zygonisia Cynosure would be greatly appreciated, I'm a total newbie...

RosieC 07-26-2010 05:01 AM

I would not have expected a mix to smell after only two weeks soaking. I've done some of mine that long although I've changed the water every day when I have.

I don't advise using medium which smells, in my experience smelly medium is what killed the roots on three of my orchids (it had been kept damp by the shop I bought it from). I'm not sure, others may say it's not always a problem, but since then I always throw it away if it smells.

I'm afriad I don't know Zygonisia so can't really help on specifics of repotting.

Eyebabe 07-26-2010 08:21 AM

When in doubt, throw it out. :twocents:
Weigh the cost of the potential problems and/or death of your plant vs. the cost of some new potting media.
I think I know the winner! ;)

peeweelovesbooks 07-26-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyebabe (Post 330645)
When in doubt, throw it out. :twocents:
Weigh the cost of the potential problems and/or death of your plant vs. the cost of some new potting media.
I think I know the winner! ;)

:)

I like this!! Absolutely. If I had to choose between the cost of the media v. the cost of a new plant/problems with using possibly rotting media......there's no question that I would dump and start over.

Angurek 07-27-2010 06:46 PM

Zygonisias (and other zygos/hybrids, for that matter) are not especially fussy about being repotted. If the plant is in active growth, I would go ahead and do so. I have one that I repotted recently, even though it was sending out spikes. It ended up keeping both the spikes, and the flowers are completely open now. The plant may drop a leaf or two as it adjusts, but it should fill back in very quickly.

If the mix smells rotten, throw it out. There's nothing wrong with letting zygos grow in a mix of bark and perlite; they do just fine in standard mixes. However, since bark is somewhat of a dry medium, you may have to water a bit more often until it retains the moisture. :)