Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Phalaenopsis Orchid with brown spotted stem (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/36791-phalaenopsis-orchid-brown-spotted-stem.html)

amycalmes 06-20-2010 09:30 PM

Phalaenopsis Orchid with brown spotted stem

4 Attachment(s)
I got this orchid as a gift in November 2009 and it was in bloom. In March 2010 the flowers began to fall off one by one. It did not come with an identification card but after looking through tons of photos I think it is a Phalaenopsis Orchid. Although, I am still learning a lot so I am not entirely sure. Because I had never grown an orchid before I wasn't sure what to do once the flowers fell off and so I read a bit online and learned that it should re-bloom again in the fall. I continued watering it and it has gradually gotten a spotted brown stem but the leaves are still looking healthy. The top near the nodes is very dark now and brittle. Is there anything I can do to save this orchid? What should I do? Please look at the photos of it that I uploaded...I really want to save my orchid.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 06-20-2010 10:02 PM

Remove the inflorescence, it's done.

How long since you changed out the potting media?

King_of_orchid_growing:) 06-20-2010 10:09 PM

Your orchid isn't sick so far that I see.

Check the roots. Do your plant grooming. And if you haven't changed that potting media out since you bought the plant, I recommend you do.

amycalmes 06-20-2010 10:10 PM

Okay. So, I can cut off the inflorescence and then it should be okay when it blooms again?

I have not changed the potting media yet because I read that if you touch it and it isn't crumbling when you squeeze it then it is okay. But, was I supposed to get new potting media after the flowers fell off and then repot it? Do you think that is possibly what is causing the spotting on the stem? It's weird because the leaves still look healthy to me and I have been watering it about every 10 days (as I read is necessary). I really want to try and get this plant healthy and I am still so new at this...hopefully you can help me! Thank you so much for your response!

amycalmes 06-20-2010 10:13 PM

So, the spotting is normal? It looks okay and not sick? THANK YOU!!! :) I really hope so...I will get new potting media and repot it...and cut off the inflorescence.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 06-20-2010 10:13 PM

I wouldn't wait until the bark crumbles.

Chances are the bark is done. Especially if it's the same bark from the place you bought it from. That bark could be very old.

It's a pH issue, as well as a sanitary issue.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 06-20-2010 10:14 PM

That spotting is fungus. It's just fungus growing on a dead portion of the inflorescence.

amycalmes 06-20-2010 10:20 PM

Okay...so I'm sure this will sound extremely amateur...but then again that is what I am. So, how much of the stem am I supposed to cut off exactly? Because the inflorescence is just that top cluster where the nodes were right? Or is it the whole stem? Because the entire stem is spotted.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 06-20-2010 10:22 PM

Cut it all off. The entire "stem" is the inflorescence.

amycalmes 06-20-2010 11:11 PM

Thank you very much for all of your help. I really appreciate it and I am sorry I am such an amateur at this and I probably sound really silly asking these kinds of questions...I am learning and your advice is greatly appreciated. :)