Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Greenhouse Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/greenhouse-gardening/)
-   -   bought a greenhouse kit (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/greenhouse-gardening/36513-bought-greenhouse-kit.html)

quiltingwacko 06-09-2010 12:55 PM

bought a greenhouse kit

Well we finally did it. After teetering on the edge for about a year, watching prices fall with the economy, we finally sprang for a Florian greenhouse kit. Looked like the best quality for the price. Prices have started to go back up so.....that probably influenced the decision :shock: Now is trench digging, foundation, kneewall etc. After hurting his back digging, DH hired someone to do the rest of the trench and foundation. We will put up the rest ourselves. that is the plan, anyway. His back has recovered. :biggrin: Optimism is a wonderful thing. There are orchids in every room of our house, even the dining room! So it will be good to get them into a greenhouse. Waiting two years for some things to bloom is just too hard. :coverlaugh: Carol

BikerDoc5968 06-09-2010 01:01 PM

Now for the construction photos.... progress reports.... let's go... you have to keep us on top of things

RosieC 06-09-2010 01:15 PM

Congratulations. I went for one on sale in January (probably not the same make but seemed the best qualtity one arround here). Having a greenhouse really does help for growing orchids which have difficult conditions difficult to get in the house. I'm aiming mine at the cooler growing ones over the winter, but it's a great semi-outdoor spot for a lot of others over the summer.

I agree with Howard, we need contruction progress pics. I tool lots while doing mine, but never had the time to sort them in to order and post them.

WhiteRabbit 06-09-2010 02:42 PM

woo hoo! how exciting! I can't wait to see pix!

sarahrm 06-09-2010 06:03 PM

That's so exciting! I am still waiting and watching prices, but did not catch on to the rising prices. I will have to act soon! I have been wanting one for a long time too. I am waiting anxiously to see progress pics.

johnblagg 06-09-2010 06:12 PM

Way cool ...I found a used commercial hoop frame gh for sale on a auction site and placed a bid myself today.hope I win it lol but its doubtfull the bids are still way low and while I have the high bid at $75 it still has 20 days to run and it is a 30 by 100 frame.

quiltingwacko 06-09-2010 07:19 PM

Well let us know how that turns out John. Sounds very exciting. Carol
I took some pics of where we are going to put it. Will post later.

Becca 06-09-2010 10:24 PM

Carol, do you have a link to the one you bought? I would like to check it out as I am in the market as well!

natasha 06-09-2010 10:43 PM

congrats on the gh! i am still thinking about the shadehouse... yeah, still long way to go it seems!

quiltingwacko 06-09-2010 11:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It has taken us a while to get here. First thing DH did was cut down 3 Camellias, 1 Dogwood tree, 2 Italian Cypress, and an Azalea. Then we thought about it whilst watching the economy come down. DH started digging out extra soil and finding places to put it. Thought some more. Recently he started digging a trench for a foundation. He can move around again now. :D The guy who is going to pour the foundation came by tonight. City says "Yes, we need a permit." So there goes another $350. Nobody is building houses so they need every cent I guess. Here is some pics of where it will be. Carol