Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   Anyone growing Dendrobium jonesii (formerly ruppianum)? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/36060-growing-dendrobium-jonesii-formerly-ruppianum.html)

smweaver 05-26-2010 06:04 AM

Anyone growing Dendrobium jonesii (formerly ruppianum)?

Is anyone on this site growing this species of dendrobium? If so, would you mind providing some information about its culture, please? Can it be grown like speciosum or kingianum (i.e. with lots of light, distinct dry winter rests, etc.), or does it require more specific care? Thank you!

Steve

Roy 05-26-2010 07:42 AM

Steve, this plant likes it a little warmer than those you mentioned thru winter and a definite dry spell but not bone dry. Lots of light and hope for the best for it to flower. Not the easiest of any dend to flower. Doesn't like being disturbed either.

Vina 06-21-2011 06:55 AM

Although this seems an old post, I decided to join with my question.
I have den ruppianum for 2 years now. Never bloomed for me :(
I keep it on EW facing window (more east :) , watering is like for other the same group dendrobiums.

Any suggestions I can do to encourage flowering?
Thanks!

harleymc 06-26-2011 08:06 AM

I've no experience with D jonesii, but hoping some of this info may help.
Source Walter Upton, Dendrobium Orchids of Australia 1989
Grows well on slabs or in pots provided the mix is open. In cooler areas safer to grow on slabs as will not tolerate wet fet during winter.
Requires a very humid atmosphere & plenty of water during the growing season with plenty of air movement. Does not like temperatures over 30 C, winter minimum of 8 C, keep dry during winter.
David Jones, Native Orchids of Australia, 1988 doesn't give any suggested temperatures, suggests pot culture and 'good light, humidity and air movement'.

silken 06-26-2011 11:36 AM

I don't grow this but checked it on OrchidWiz. Lighting there which is based on bakers' Culture sheets says 3000 to 4000 fc. It concurs that temps. above 30c are EXTREMELY detrimental. Humidity 75 to 85%. Heavy rainfall from spring to fall and greatly reduced in winter although not completely. Strong air movement year round. Recommends mounting on cork slabs or tree fern slabs. Very intolerant of soggy media but mounted plants need misting and watering daily. If potted, small pots of open free draining media but they aren't specific of what kind.

Hope that helps and it pretty much parallels what Roy and harleymc have said, just adds a bit about sun etc.

Vina 06-26-2011 05:29 PM

thanks! seems like it already has the conditions. so, I just have to be patient.