Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Outdoor Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/)
-   -   what orchids can i have outside (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/35984-orchids-outside.html)

Call_Me_Bob 05-23-2010 04:08 PM

what orchids can i have outside

im looking for orchids that i can have for all or most of the year. I live in pa. zone 5b. we get upwards of 100 F and as low at the teens in winter. im ok if i have to bring it inside when it gets cold.

Triffid 06-15-2010 08:41 AM

You may wish to research which Orchids grow wild near where you are. I was utterly surprised at the variety of Native Orchids available to this country. Obviously your Native one should do better for you... (I say should, not definitely)

It's all about environment. There may be some Orchids that will only like being put out at certain times of the year and others that may be happy outside the whole year.

But if the distribution map on Orchidaceae - Wikipedia is anything to go by, there should be something that suits what you have to work with.

Still getting my head around this, so sorry that I can not be of more assistance.
Anyone else have any suggestions?

Royal 06-15-2010 09:03 AM

Bletilla striata is a hardy perennial in your zone - perfect for a flower bed. It will freeze back in the winter and come back each spring with the Hyacinths.

Like Triffid stated, you have some natives as well. Spiranthes, Calopogon, Pagonia, maybe some Platanthera, Calanthe, and of course - Cypripedium. Check out the Wild Orchid Co. or Plant Delights Nursery. They both carry some neat orchids.

Call_Me_Bob 06-15-2010 10:00 PM

alright, thanks :)

Izzie 06-16-2010 01:51 AM

Hardy perrenial orchids, mostly- you're in the same zone as me.
King of orchids made a long list of ones we can do on my thread here- http://www.orchidboard.com/community...eed-ideas.html

Call_Me_Bob 06-16-2010 11:39 AM

thanks :) but i was looking for some epiphytes i could bring inside in winter

Izzie 06-16-2010 01:55 PM

Ah, I misunderstood you- you said "all or most of the year."

The anceps will do great in those higher temps- as will most Catt alliances- especially the reed stem epidendrum. Both can stand temperatures into the 30s for a while.

Wouldn't do phals, they won't be impressed with those high temps.

It would help to know the average day and night temperatures in the summer, spring, fall, in your area.

For the most part though, I'd say that Catts will like it outside there, maybe some Cymbidiums.
You can find heat-tolerant cyms and cold-hardy catts at Santa Barbara here- Santa Barbara Orchid Estate Home Page
Just check out the links on the left side.
They also have them sorted by what months they bloom in.

Izzie 06-16-2010 01:56 PM

If you have ground to plant them in, I still wouldn't rule out the hardy terrestrials that King listed in my thread. You can plant them in a pot sunk in the ground too, if you want.

Call_Me_Bob 06-16-2010 02:18 PM

not sure, but i think this should help you Harrisburg Weather | Harrisburg PA | Conditions, Forecast, Average

i moved one phal outside, because it was doing poorly inside for a long long time. it hadsulked for about a year. its leaves are plumper now, but im not putting anymore outside. except maybe for the one i just got specifically to mount and have outside in summer :\

WhiteRabbit 06-16-2010 02:27 PM

Actually many Phal species are warm to hot growers - they just need lower light than the anceps. A shady spot that perhaps only gets a bit of morning sun is probably ok outside. Heat is probably ok, but need to watch the light.
I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences. I know much of the US gets heat spells with high temps near or over 100.