Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Minnesota growers! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/34939-minnesota-growers.html)

Jeffery 04-20-2010 07:33 PM

Minnesota growers!

So how does your Orchids grow in Minnesota? what kind of Orchids are you growing there? is it easy to get them?
I am seriously considering leaving sunny Southern California and heading up north to live and watch the Minnesota Vikings play football, OK! thats not the only reason, but its a good reason :)

LinhT 04-20-2010 09:32 PM

Hi Jeffrey,

There are 2 big orchid nurseries in MN, that I know of. Orchids Limited is in the Twin Cities and Winsome Orchids is a bit farther out of the Cities.

Then there are the Home Depots, Lowes and Costcos where you can get those famous "Just Add Ice" Phals that may or may not have roots and may or may not be rotting depending on how the employee at the store was caring for them. Sometimes you even get fungus gnats as a bonus.

A few of the garden centers here have orchids too, like Bachman's and Linders.

I'm a member of the Orchid Society of MN and our members grow all kinds of orchids. Those of us who do not have greenhouses, have learned how to grow indoors under lights, window sills, basements, etc. Most of my collection consists of Paphs, Phrags and miniature Japanese species. I grow under T5's and on window sills in a bright room. My slippers are a bit more work and require a higher energy bill in the winter but the Japanese orchids are really low maintenance during the cold months.

Jeffery 04-21-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinhT (Post 306775)
Hi Jeffrey,

There are 2 big orchid nurseries in MN, that I know of. Orchids Limited is in the Twin Cities and Winsome Orchids is a bit farther out of the Cities.

Then there are the Home Depots, Lowes and Costcos where you can get those famous "Just Add Ice" Phals that may or may not have roots and may or may not be rotting depending on how the employee at the store was caring for them. Sometimes you even get fungus gnats as a bonus.

A few of the garden centers here have orchids too, like Bachman's and Linders.

I'm a member of the Orchid Society of MN and our members grow all kinds of orchids. Those of us who do not have greenhouses, have learned how to grow indoors under lights, window sills, basements, etc. Most of my collection consists of Paphs, Phrags and miniature Japanese species. I grow under T5's and on window sills in a bright room. My slippers are a bit more work and require a higher energy bill in the winter but the Japanese orchids are really low maintenance during the cold months.

I am still at the low level Orchids, Phals, Catts. Those are my main ones for now, I may be going to Saint Cloud, that woulden't be a bad drive to the cities ;)

DeanneD 04-22-2010 01:24 PM

I'm originally from a small town near St Cloud. Have you lost your mind!? :rofl:

terryros 04-22-2010 03:38 PM

I lose my mind about every two weeks going to Orchids Limited. I grow indoors under lights (Catts, Phals, Miltoniopsis, Paphs, and Phrags).

65 F, no clouds or wind today for golf this afternoon. We have been playing golf since the end of March. A gorgeous April. You enjoy, or put up with, our Winter to have our great Spring/Summer/Fall.

Jeffery 04-22-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanneD (Post 307241)
I'm originally from a small town near St Cloud. Have you lost your mind!? :rofl:

No! but the top of my head is a little sun burnt, hahaha! I like St Cloud, small yet has all you need right there, has a good diverse population of races, its not a far drive to the great Northland, Superior National Forest, lots of good fishing, pretty decent economy and not very expensive to live there, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and March scare me to death though.

Jeffery 04-22-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryros (Post 307283)
I lose my mind about every two weeks going to Orchids Limited. I grow indoors under lights (Catts, Phals, Miltoniopsis, Paphs, and Phrags).

65 F, no clouds or wind today for golf this afternoon. We have been playing golf since the end of March. A gorgeous April. You enjoy, or put up with, our Winter to have our great Spring/Summer/Fall.

I think you got us beat here in SoCal, quite cold today and cloudy, maybe about 62 F, got fresh snow in the mountains down to about 3,500 foot level.

I got 1 milt, do you use lights on your plants all year long or just during the winter?

terryros 04-23-2010 07:14 PM

I grow everything indoors, under lights, all year round.

armagedon48 05-18-2010 12:21 AM

good to see orchid keepers in MN! I found this thread while looking for miniature orchids. i'm working on a vivarium that'll be dominated by miniature orchids.

i'll be looking into the Orchid Society of MN.

Saldalilover 07-22-2012 12:28 PM

I live in a small town just outside of St.Cloud!

I however just found out that I unknowingly was only 7min away from Orchids Limited yesterday and didn't know it!!! Urghhh so disappointing! I was in Maple Grove all day!!! Maybe next time! :((