Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Any Decent Organic Orchid Fertilizer? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/34699-decent-organic-orchid-fertilizer.html)

onlyartificiallight 04-12-2010 09:39 PM

Any Decent Organic Orchid Fertilizer?

Do these exist?

dounoharm 04-12-2010 09:45 PM

well you got your fish emulsions, your kelp, your seaweed, your spirulina, your worm doodoo and lord knows what else.....but all of them require additions of the trace minerals or something, none of them are complete...so you are better off with the msu mixtures....imo.....

Triffid 04-13-2010 04:55 AM

I did read somewhere (on this forum I think) that it is possible to dilute the Organic Granule/Pellet feed, but they may have to be ground down first.
Or even stick s few of the pellats in the potting medium so they gradually release as you water the plant.

Sorry, but other than that the only think I can think of is brewing up some sort of home made tea as it were..... But I haven't had the confidence to use such a method on my Orchids yet, works for the garden and other potted plants though.

onlyartificiallight 04-18-2010 12:03 AM

thats too bad. Hopefully some will come along soon enough.

secretasiansam 04-18-2010 01:00 PM

guano

i've been using bat guanos for maybe 9 months. I also grow under lights in semi-hydro. The collections is about 25 mixed catts, phals,onc. dens, and vanda. There are a few different guanos, i use desert-8-4-1 and sea bird 1-10-1, i use earth juice meta-k for potassium.
i was wanting to switch to a balanced fert and bought foxfarms happy frog, wich is organic but the nitrogen isn't water soluble. guanos aren't completley soluble either. another reason i wanted to switch.
Garden Supply - Planet Naturalthis is a local shop for me but also does internet sales, or type in "hydro" in google and there will be about a thousand sites that will have organic ferts.

onlyartificiallight 04-18-2010 10:23 PM

thats great to hear! so all has gone well since switching to the guano? i wonder how it will fare in my situation with just standard orchid medium (not hydro). i guess ill find out cause im gonna give it a try. so i asume you can make teas with all the guanos if you are using in semi-hydro? (im not really sure what semi-hydro means :blushing:)

secretasiansam 04-18-2010 10:40 PM

most are doing well.three blooming, three more in bud, new growths on most. I do make teas. i use an air stone in five gallon buckets. There are several organic liquid ferts, most are two part. grow and bloom. geared toward the distinct phases of cannabis production. same with the guano.high N for veg, High P for buds. the only reason i use guano is i have it on hand for growing pot(legally). it would be easier to use the MSU type ferts or balanced ferts. im still undecided on what im going to use long term.

got ants 04-18-2010 11:00 PM

Don't know how well it works but recently I read on here about using coconut water for Vandas and a follow up post stated it's a natural root hormone.

Me personally, I use what works best for me (MSU) as I have no plans on eating my chids. I also use pesticides, fungicides, root hormone, superthrive, whatever gets me the best results.

Now if I was growing a veggie or herb garden, I'd definitely go organic.

Ray 04-21-2010 11:04 AM

As was pointed out earlier, there is no organic material that will give you sufficient and complete nutrition.

I must ask though, what is the driving force for the use of organics? The ions that are in solution for the plants to be able to absorb them are identical, whether of organic or inorganic source.

Triffid 04-21-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 306897)
I must ask though, what is the driving force for the use of organics? The ions that are in solution for the plants to be able to absorb them are identical, whether of organic or inorganic source.

I think it has something to do with the whole "Being Green" ethos. Though I believe these days there seems to be a lot of Grey areas when it comes to it.

Gardeners have nearly always used Organic fertilizers when you think about it. Rotating crops to to help prevent disease, aerate the ground and with Peas and the like add nitrogen back into the soil. Used Manure. Kept Compost Heaps.

I sometimes wonder whether people are getting confused between Organic and Safe for Environment. After all there are products out there which are inorganic but have been made so that they are not detrimental to the environment.
Perhaps folks should just look at the Morals and Practices of the company providing the Fertilizer... Organic or Not.

But hey, what do I know :lol:
Just my :twocents: