Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Weird unusual orchids? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/3327-weird-unusual-orchids.html)

daemondamian 04-10-2007 04:06 AM

Weird unusual orchids?

2 Attachment(s)
In the trend of the 'constant bloomers' list thread I'd like to start another one on 'weird, unusual' orchids- either how they look, grow, smell, flower etc..

I know there are sooo many out there! :nod:

Here's my first contribution to the list:

Pholidota imbricata, common name The Rattlesnake Orchid.

Why is it called that? The flower spike resembles the tail of a rattlesnake. :cheer:

Tindomul 04-10-2007 10:21 AM

OOh coool!! I can't think of any wierd orchids except the Ghost Orchid, and that Lady Slipper that grows in the desert thats also a miniature. I suppose I don't own any. Can't wait to see whats out there. Thanks for starting the thread.

Shadow 04-10-2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tindomul1of9 (Post 26479)
OOh coool!! I can't think of any wierd orchids except the Ghost Orchid, and that Lady Slipper that grows in the desert thats also a miniature.

Which one? Where? :drool:

Tindomul 04-10-2007 01:28 PM

I don't know of anyone who sells these. The Ghost Orchids grow wild in Florida and is wierd cause it has no roots. The miniature Lady Slipper is white and grows in desert environment, that makes it wierd to me. I don't remember the name though. Someone has a pic of it here on OB. I just can't find it. A little white slipper orchid against a blue sky background.

Ross 04-10-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tindomul1of9 (Post 26528)
I don't know of anyone who sells these. The Ghost Orchids grow wild in Florida and is wierd cause it has no roots. The miniature Lady Slipper is white and grows in desert environment, that makes it wierd to me. I don't remember the name though. Someone has a pic of it here on OB. I just can't find it. A little white slipper orchid against a blue sky background.

Tin, I am surprized at you :poke: I think you meant to say Ghost Orchid has no leaves!? If no roots, then it would be dead.

smartie2000 04-10-2007 02:55 PM

that lady slipper is Mexipedium xerophyticum and it is a constant bloomer as well. It is native to mexico:)

smartie2000 04-10-2007 02:56 PM

and here's Heathers;)
My Mexipedium is blooming. - Slippertalk.com - Slipper Orchid Forum for Paphs, Phrags other slipper orchids
....still on my want list;)

Matthews 04-10-2007 03:29 PM

What does the Pholidota imbricata bloom look like, and where did you buy it?

Tindomul 04-10-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsfrid (Post 26557)
Tin, I am surprized at you :poke: I think you meant to say Ghost Orchid has no leaves!? If no roots, then it would be dead.

I was just checking to see if you were listening. hehe. Yes you are correct, I had a brain f*rt. Hehe.

Ross 04-10-2007 04:13 PM

You are forgiven!