Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Repot a new orchid in bloom? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/33240-repot-orchid-bloom.html)

sheiman 03-02-2010 12:03 AM

Repot a new orchid in bloom?

I keep reading that when you bring home a new orchid you should repot it in order to take a look at its roots.

I've also read that you shouldn't repot an orchid while in bloom.

So what are you supposed to do when you buy a new orchid that is in bloom? Is it ok to take it out of the pot and look at its roots right away, or should I wait till it has finished blooming?

King_of_orchid_growing:) 03-02-2010 01:46 AM

The information you're getting has to be taken in context with other factors.

While it is true that you run the risk of losing the flowers during repotting when they are in bloom. Look at it this way...

1. Yes, you will lose blooms if the plant was in flower if you do repot during this time, if you had done massive damage to the roots during the process, or if the plant is sensitive to repotting.

2. There is also the chance that if you're careful, or if the plant is not sensitive to repotting, that they will not drop flowers.

3. Should they drop flowers, what does it really matter?

I personally would rather lose the flowers than the plant, because if I lost the plant, I'd have to get another one. But if I lost the flowers and retained the plant, it'll rebloom again in the next flowering season with the proper culture.

Sometimes some people may not think about the long term or are unaware of it, and they get too caught up in the now to think about the near or distant future. Short term decisions will result in short term gains. Think about it this way in this context.

Becky15349 03-02-2010 01:51 AM

Absolutely right - I agree with the above. Just depends on what your intentions are with the plant...I suppose you can enjoy it for a few days, but its always best to repot it within the week to see what's going on below the surface. Learn from the mistake that we here on OB have made by waiting to repot...it can lead to root rot, and who knows what else. Best to repot and see what you've bought :)

sheiman 03-02-2010 09:31 AM

Great advice. Thanks guys!

goofy 03-02-2010 01:02 PM

Hi,

I am no expert on the subject. I just wanted to share my experience with you. I bought a phalaenopsis in bloom 3 weeks ago. It was in sphag moss. A week ago, I noticed some of the roots were rotting. I decided to repot it. It was packed very tightly in moss and the moss smelled bad. I got rid of the rotted roots and gave it new sphag moss. It is looking happy today and does not loose any flowers. In fact, it is growing more buds at the tips of the spikes (2 spikes).

Thuy

sheiman 03-02-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy (Post 294846)
Hi,

I am no expert on the subject. I just wanted to share my experience with you. I bought a phalaenopsis in bloom 3 weeks ago. It was in sphag moss. A week ago, I noticed some of the roots were rotting. I decided to repot it. It was packed very tightly in moss and the moss smelled bad. I got rid of the rotted roots and gave it new sphag moss. It is looking happy today and does not loose any flowers. In fact, it is growing more buds at the tips of the spikes (2 spikes).

Thuy

That's great! I just got a paph at Ikea yesterday that has one fully opened bloom and one that is in the process of opening, so I wasn't sure what to do. This morning I repotted it and I'm glad that I did, because about half of its roots were rotten. It was also super tightly packed in moss. Fingers crossed that all goes well!

lily99 03-02-2010 07:05 PM

Whether or not I repot a blooming orchid depends on where it is from and what it is potted in. There is a local vendor where I live that seems to take very good care of their plants, so they don't need repotting immediately. If I get them from a vendor I don't know, or a grocery store, I repot if I can't see lots of healthy roots or if the media looks bad. I once received a phal potted in potting soil as a gift. That was repotted immediately. It dropped half its buds, but it is alive today - 4 years old.

dounoharm 03-02-2010 07:56 PM

king is right on with his advice as usual....best to run the risk of loosing blooms than to lose the plant...and, if you are careful in your repotting, you wont lose flowers the majority of the time...

cb977 03-02-2010 08:02 PM

Just to add a little something here...

I always always always repot as soon as I get the plant home, no matter what stage of growth or display it's in. I have not yet lost a single bloom while doing this.

That being said, I also notice that a lot of times, I also wait a little longer for the plant to RE-bloom.

It works for me because I would rather know exactly what's happening where I can't see it. if I lose it from there, it's my fault ;)

sheiman 03-02-2010 08:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your input!