Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Member Projects (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/)
-   -   Paph venustum (Project 3 - Spring 2007) (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/3320-paph-venustum-project-3-spring-2007-a.html)

sailor 04-09-2007 10:34 PM

Paph venustum (Project 3 - Spring 2007)

OK, thought I would start a thread to discuss our P. venustum project orchids.

Got mine a week ago, along with a few others :cheer: . Parkside was wonderful. I was very impressed.

This seemed to be the perfect opportunity to try out a radical idea that I have had. So, the day I received it, I transfered my P. venustum into a true hydroponic system (not semi-hydro). The plant is in a 3" net pot with Prime-agra. Roots are suspended in water with VERY light MSU fertilizer and rooting hormone. pH is adjusted to 6.7. The system uses an aquarium air pump to oxygenate the water and create vigorous motion.

I have LOTS of plants in S/H. Most plants, especially Paphs & Phrags, "sulk" when transfered - some more than others. However, the P. venustum in true hydroponics has not missed a beat. VERY perky looking plant. Roots have greened up nicely.

My intent is to eventually move the plant to a permanent S/H system after the roots have become more acclimated to an aqueous environment.

Guess we'll see how this works out.

justatypn 04-09-2007 10:51 PM

Ahhhh...like your enthusiasm, would love to know how this type of growing works for orchids.

Parkside was very impressive with there shipping habits, the condition of their orchids :Tup:. Mine is doing well, a few days longer than I would have like with the watering due to out of town, but quick to perk and continue on its path of growing.

Keep us updated monthly with it's growing habits and a :photo: in the gallery under "chat project"...can't wait to see your results...gl

cb977 04-10-2007 09:12 AM

Wonderful! That's what this project is all about!!! :banana: This is going to be our best yet!!!!!

I recently moved all my Paphs into aliflor and they too have not missed a beat. As a matter of fact, they are looking great! :clap:

Thanks for starting this thread...over the next few months, we should have lots of information circulating :cheer:

Some members will be waiting a few more weeks to acquire their Project Plants so I set up the monthly photo update to begin in June...you can go into our calendar, go to June 13, 2007 and click on the event. From there, you can request a reminder for future months.

Good luck to everybody and I look forward to learning all I can about growing this plant through our forum :D

Tindomul 04-10-2007 10:16 AM

Ooh cool!!! I had no idea what to do with my Paph once it came in. THanks for the hints!! Heheeee. Im a cheater... naaa nana na naaaa na!! :p

Ludisia 04-18-2007 02:14 PM

Can you tell me how big is your P.venustum?

My plant is coming soon. It has a code S2 - flowering within 2 years?

Tindomul 04-18-2007 02:27 PM

Mine is only about 4 inches tall, and 5 or 6 wide. I should have posted my pics here, but forgot about this thread!

sailor 04-18-2007 11:43 PM

I've named mine PeeVee. Ten days in hydroponics and she looks picture perfect. Did not sulk at all. Mine came in about 7". I seriously believe it has picked up an inch in wingspan already.

Ludisia 05-10-2007 04:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got mine:cheer: :cheer:

It looks quite mature plant after all - 7 inch wide and 5. leave is growing.

cb977 05-10-2007 09:35 AM

I didn't measure Abby when she arrived but I see some definite growth happening! :shock:
I love the color under the leaves :D

Ironwood 05-10-2007 02:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got my Paph. venustum today from Cloud's Orchids, the tag says it is a small seedling. (First picture)

(Second picture) Paph. niveum from Orchids in Our Tropics which is supposed to be NBS.

(Third picture) Together for comparison, I really don't think Paph. niveum is anywhere Near Blooming Size.