Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   Help needed with LARGE phalaenopsis- repotting? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/32767-help-phalaenopsis-repotting.html)

lisa1996 02-15-2010 05:21 PM

Help needed with LARGE phalaenopsis- repotting?

1 Attachment(s)
I have a large Phalaeonopsis. The leaves themselves are about 8 inches tall and all through-out the leaves roots are growing. Is this a sign that I need to repot? Is there anything that can be done to prevent the roots from growing through the leaves so profusely? It makes it difficult to handle. Also the leaves are so tall that they fall over. I stake them but it doesn't help much. The plant is very healthy -constantly in bloom or growing new leaves. I'm trying to attach a pic, but I'm not sure if it will come through. I'm new to this site but not to orchid growing. THANKS!

peeweelovesbooks 02-15-2010 05:43 PM

Hi.

Gorgeous Phal!! Aerial roots---some hybrids are more prone to aerial roots than others. Sometimes, however, aerial roots start growing when the potting medium is broken down and the plant starts making them instead of roots at the base. I would check the potting medium to see if it needs to be repotted.

How long ago was it potted up? are there healthy roots at the base?

If everything is ok, then I suppose your next problem is the weight of the phal. Maybe you want to go square as opposed to round. I have a phalaenopsis that is now slightly more than 2 feet across and it is held up by a 6x7 aircone pot.

You also have to think about the potting medium if you are going to pot up. This is something I've been debating for a while for my large phal. I can't go any bigger without seriously considering going with a shallower type of pot because the thing is so huge. So, you need to consider whether your current potting medium is going to work if you pot up, or whether it's going to stay too wet for too long.

Consider putting an inverted net pot in the center.

Good luck--and it looks super duper healthy

lisa1996 02-15-2010 06:21 PM

Thanks...some more questions

Thank you so much for the advice. I think repotting is probably a big part of the solution.It's been about 2 years since the last time that I did. I always get nervous about damaging so I try to repot as little as possible. Also this phal is always in bloom (and I know I'm suppose to wait til in between blooms). I 'googled' the aircone pot and found it, but I'm not sure what an inverted net pot is. Could you tell me where to get one? And would I use the two types together?

WhiteRabbit 02-15-2010 09:38 PM

omg! what's your secret???
very happy looking plant - I wish my phals looked half as happy

"inverted net pot" means - using a net pot inverted inside the pot you put your plant in - don't know if it helps to stabilize your plant - but keeps center of media from staying too wet and provide aeration. It's the same concept as an aircone pot so you could do one or the other

http://www.hydroponics.net/i/211110
(net pot)

trdyl 02-19-2010 04:35 AM

hat is one great looking plant. With something this large you might want to switch the medum to LECA. It is a fired clay pellet and will not break down.

Kitty 02-19-2010 10:57 AM

Wow! that's quite a plant! I love peloric phal's! The new leaf's look smaller, is it getting enough light? also the upper root's have lost their tip's, is it humid enough? If it were my plant I would either set the whole thing in a larger pot where the root's could enjoy the space between pot's , or I would remove the lower portion of the plant leaving the top 6 leaf's, wet the root's so they are more palable and can be tucked into the pot for repotting. I repot my phal's every other year...Good Luck...Kitty

flowerpower 02-19-2010 03:19 PM

Wow. I have never seen anything like this! What a fabulous Phalaenopsis. How old is it? I think two years is about right for a re-pot.

I have heard of people "topping" a phal. I think it involves cutting it. I think it would be a shame to do this but it's a possibility if it bothers you.