Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   what is an ideal cymbidium potting media? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/32351-ideal-cymbidium-potting-media.html)

ajdamania2 02-02-2010 04:55 PM

what is an ideal cymbidium potting media?

Hi all,
I bought 2 big cymbidiums about weeks ago and i thought repotting would be a good idea.unlike other orchids i have , i used plenty of orchid compost with some bark. but potting media almost never get dry(looked stale) if even after my 10 day holiday. got some yellow leaves.today, removed some of the compost and added some bark and perlite.still looks more like soil rather than course bark.draining the water takes about 30 mins.what is the best potting media.

Many thanks

WhiteRabbit 02-02-2010 06:27 PM

Hi!
I know there will be several suggestions for the 'best' media, I can only say what I use, and that it works well for me

equal parts medium and fine grades fir bark with a fair amount of perlite and/or pumice, a bit of charcoal, and some styro packing pnuts :) - how often to water depends on time of year and climate. Right now with cool damp weather (my cyms are outdoors) I hardly ever water them. In summer I water 1 - 3xs a week. Cyms should not dry out.

ajdamania2 02-03-2010 12:23 AM

[QUOTE=WhiteRabbit;288774]Hi!
I know there will be several suggestions for the 'best' media, I can only say what I use, and that it works well for me

equal parts medium and fine grades fir bark with a fair amount of perlite and/or pumice, a bit of charcoal, and some styro packing pnuts :) - how often to water depends on time of year and climate. Right now with cool damp weather (my cyms are outdoors) I hardly ever water them. In summer I water 1 - 3xs a week. Cyms should not dry out.[/QUOT

I live in London and keep some of my cyms in the kitchen.night time can be cold:(. but i will try to get charcoal.many thanks

Bolero 02-03-2010 01:46 AM

Medium size of either bark or CHC - mix either of this with perlite and charcoal. They will grow beautifully.

Ray 02-03-2010 11:14 AM

1) There is no "best" medium. You need to consider the needs of the plant, and how well you can provide that in your environment and under your watering habits.

2) You might consider semi-hydroponics (Cymbidium Nut 'First Rays Red' in an 8" pot):

http://www.firstrays.com/Pictures_or...RR20100201.jpg

RosieC 02-03-2010 02:45 PM

Wow, that Cym is even bigger than the one I bought in December.

I'm also interested in what I should repot mine in. I'm thinking of trying SH with some Phals but I don't think I'm ready to try it with the Cym.

I have small bark, medium CHC and perlite so it sounds like those will be useful. No charcole though... is that necessary and if so do you use just standard charcole sold for fires (of course not the stuff with firelighter already in).

WhiteRabbit 02-03-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieC (Post 289050)
Wow, that Cym is even bigger than the one I bought in December.

I'm also interested in what I should repot mine in. I'm thinking of trying SH with some Phals but I don't think I'm ready to try it with the Cym.

I have small bark, medium CHC and perlite so it sounds like those will be useful. No charcole though... is that necessary and if so do you use just standard charcole sold for fires (of course not the stuff with firelighter already in).

Rosie - horticultural charcoal, tho I wouldn't think it's necessary. For a couple of years I never used any. I just have it so I use it lol. I think you should be fine without.

RosieC 02-03-2010 04:01 PM

Thanks Wrabbit. I've never come accros horticultural charcole. Unless I come accross it I guess I will just use the bark, CHC and perlite.

I have another question. Is there a best time of year to repot Cyms?