Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Aerangis fastuosa (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/3217-aerangis-fastuosa.html)

jstaub 04-05-2007 02:47 PM

Aerangis fastuosa

Hello! This is my first post in the forum, though I've been on the site for a few months now. I am a beginner orchid grower I guess - I have 10 plants and have been growing for a year now. Oncidiums seem to like me best, though I do have a few phals and catts. I haven't lost a plant yet *knock on wood* but I'm sure it'll happen any day. :)

Anyway, I went to the Longwood Gardens Orchid Show this past weekend and did something that we've all done, that I knew I shouldn't have done, but did anyway: bought a brand new species that I really knew nothing about and assumed I could grow it. That species was Aerangis fastuosa, and in its little 2" pot it's one of the cutest damn orchids I've ever seen. And the smell is DIVINE.

I should say the smell was divine, because in the 5 days since I've brought it home, the flower has died. Fine. Except today I noticed that one of the bottom leaves is yellowing and shrivelling. I've also noticed that all of the leaves are kind of "shrivelled" - not really shrivelled but they're very rough and somewhat scaly. It's halfway through growing a new leaf and that leaf is very smooth. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong? It seems rather dramatic for less than a week's time.

Also, does anyone have good information on aerangis culture? I've been looking around on the web a bit today and am not finding a lot.

Thank you!

Jayme

Frdemetr 04-05-2007 03:02 PM

Jayme, you can find some information in IOSPE
IOSPE PHOTOS
In OB there are someone (I can't remember who) that grows Aerangis luteo-alba var. rhodosticta, and for sure he or she has usefull information about the genus.
Frederico

Shadow 04-05-2007 04:57 PM

Hello! I do grow an Aerangis luteo-alba var. rhodosticta. I've got it three months ago but I'm still watching it. I'm still unsure that it is happy with me. I keep it on slab and use boiled or distilled water for watering.

Tindomul 04-05-2007 05:35 PM

Welcome to the Orchid Board, and good luck with your aerangis. I have no experience with these, but If I were in your shoes, I would try to grow it like a Phal or like an Angreaceum. Humid, and mounted, or humid and in sphag or orchid mix, keep moist, not dry. Don't water the crown. Mist the roots once or twice a day. Just a shot in the dark here.

Elena 04-05-2007 05:44 PM

How spooky, someone posted a picture of their fastuosa on another forum yesterday and I was asking them how it's grown because I really like the little guys. Apparently they like similar conditions to Phals, like Tindo already said.

Good luck with yours!

I'd love one at some point but struggling to find a vendor who sells them just now.

Tindomul 04-05-2007 05:48 PM

Yay!! I guessed right!!!

Lin 04-05-2007 05:55 PM

I have four aerangis, a citrata, 2 fastuosa and a hygloides. The citrata is in spike.

They are all in pots, 3 (one of each) are in tall ones in a fine bark. The second fastuosa is in spag in an attempt to grow roots (which is working BTW).

They are grown in slightly higher than phal light, in my orchidarium so the humidity is higher than I can provide in my house. Roots are thin so I would not let them dry out.

My 2 cents :lol:

markr 04-05-2007 06:06 PM

Hi,
I've grown a few Aerangis fastuosa for a couple years. One of my favourite mini epiphytes. I think the essentials with them are: high temperature, high humidity, relatively low light (like Phalaenopsis), frequent waterings, and good aeration for the roots.

I personally grow them in a hot terrarium mounted on small pieces of driftwood with sphagnum. Humidty about 75% and good air movement from a computer fan. Their roots get heavily sprayed once a day and are allowed to dry down before the following day. Fertilized once a week with 1/4 strength 20-20-20. For a few months in winter they seem to slow down - I slightly drop the temperarue, humidity, and only fertilize once a month. Overall, similar to Angraecum, but I've heard they are not as tolerant of low temperatures - I have no personal experience with that though.

cneos 04-05-2007 10:18 PM

One source for aerangis species that I have found is very helpful is J&L Orchids

jstaub 04-06-2007 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=markr;25201]Hi,
I've grown a few Aerangis fastuosa for a couple years. One of my favourite mini epiphytes. I think the essentials with them are: high temperature, high humidity, relatively low light (like Phalaenopsis), frequent waterings, and good aeration for the roots.

Hi Mark,

Do the leaves of your Aerangis look somewhat dry and rough/scaly? I want to know if that's normal for this species or not.