Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   BC Maikai and BC Maikai x C maxima (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/31347-bc-maikai-bc-maikai-maxima.html)

nancy 12-30-2009 03:21 PM

BC Maikai and BC Maikai x C maxima

2 Attachment(s)
Both a little sunburned; can't be helped.
The Maikai was obtained at our society swap; the other I bought as a seedling. Both are in spectacular bloom.
The Maikai covers a grapewood stump; the other pot will probably not give up the plant without breaking.
Both recommended for fast, weed-like growth.
Regards - Nancy

wgama 12-30-2009 05:34 PM

Those are bothe huge! How old are they? I really like the x C. maxima one! Great growing!

nancy 12-30-2009 06:31 PM

Hi Winston -
My notes say the Maikai was from a swap in 5/07, and I bought the other in March 07.
I remember taking a photo of the Maikai about 6 weeks after I put it on that mount, and the roots went all over it in that amount of time. I guess our buoyant sub-tropical conditions suit it!
If you were in a zone other than "1" (what's that, the arctic tundras of Canada?), I would offer to send you a division. How do you keep orchids hydrated in your conditions?
Humidity is usually not a problem here - we don't even have to sweat for ourselves, just let the moisture condense on us.
Cheers - Nancy (in actually cold, rainy, windy south Louisiana)

stefpix 12-30-2009 06:33 PM

Amazing!
I was thinking i want a C Maikai myself! how long from seedling to blooming to huge plant?

maybe without breaking the pot... you could pot the pot in a larger pot

Shirley 12-30-2009 09:22 PM

Those are spectacular, Nancy! Should do well at a show, I would think. Nice growing. I have a Bl. Morning Glory X Bc. Maikai and I'm amazed at just how vigorous the plant is. It's going to outgrow my place very soon, but aren't they all lovely!

:)

orchidman77 12-31-2009 12:04 AM

"Cheers - Nancy (in actually cold, rainy, windy south Louisiana)"

Boy are you right! Weather's been TERRIBLY nasty these past few days.....

David

RosieC 12-31-2009 10:43 AM

That's gorgeous!

vmax3000 12-31-2009 01:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Great pictures, Nancy. I have a Maikai and I just love it....generous with flowers and roots. I have found that anything with B. nodosa in the immediate parentage tends to be prolific in blooms and very amenable to mounting. For my experience, both my Maikai and nodosa survived Lubbock, Texas, from whence we moved and have thrived here in Central Texas...where, as you say, the sweat is provided :lol:. Both bloomed in the drier, cooler climate, but they have taken off since we moved down here ~10 years ago. I love 'em! Couldn't help but share a couple of pics of mine!

Sun rm.N.E. 12-31-2009 02:08 PM

Thanks for sharing these photos of specimens I can only dream of in the N. East growing in the house, even though I can manage to coax bloom out of some brassavolas and their hybrids. The fragrance is worth it.

Nancy, I am interested in Bc X maxima. Is it fragrant? Somehow, it appears to have a more attractive growth habit.

trdyl 12-31-2009 02:25 PM

Those are two gorgeous specimens.