Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cymbidium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/)
-   -   Cym."little black sambo" Winter watering (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/29690-cym-little-black-sambo-winter-watering.html)

martinvermillion 11-06-2009 11:07 AM

Cym."little black sambo" Winter watering

I have a Cym. "little black sambo" and am not sure how much water it needs in the Winter? I have been told everything from little or no water to regular water once a week. It has more natural light this Winter than last and seems well but I have alot of this Summer's new growth trying to die off? I have never had this plant bloom "so far" and hope to pull it off this Spring. All help appreciated.

snakecharma 11-06-2009 04:55 PM

water only when the mix dries out, otherwise you may cause root rot. This might end up being every 10 days or so, or it may be longer.

I believe watering is more critical in summer for flowering than winter ((?) I'm sure someone will correct me if thats wrong) :)

martinvermillion 11-06-2009 06:54 PM

Cym. little black sambo reply

That is basicly the way I have been working this plant. Why do you think the new growth is dying off? Does this plant like lots of sun in the Winter time? It has the largest root systen for plant size ever very healthy indeed. From what I gather it prefers to be rootbound?
Thank toy so much-Marty

Cym Ladye 11-07-2009 12:43 PM

Marty,

I grow half a dozen different clones of Cym. Little Black Sambo and all bloom well for me in Northern California. The secret for me is to hang them high in an intermediate greenhouse in the winter and water sparingly, basically treating them as you would Cym. canaliculatum, which is virtually no water from late fall to the time an inflorescence appears in spring. I may mist occasionally on a bright sunny day, but refrain from any heavy watering during the cold winter months.

I suspect your growths are rotting because the water is lingering in the lower bracts due to lack of good air movement.

Hope this helps,

CL

stonedragonfarms 11-07-2009 10:38 PM

Just thought that I would chime in on this as well, I fully agree with CL on this one, as I too grow it--though I do water mine regulary all winter (about once every 10 days), aside from that, I grow mine as is mentioned, very near the peak of my greenhouse, where it is exposed to very bright light (I don't use shade cloth here in the midwest, even amidst all the snow), and warm temps during the day (though I grow in a cool house as opposed to an intermediate). I have grown this cymbidium without the bright light/cut back on watering, but have found that it will not flower for me if I do so. It usually blooms for me around the end of April here in Michigan. Just my additional 2 cents.
Adam

martinvermillion 11-08-2009 04:10 PM

Thanks been watering too much I thought so but it's good to check.

mjf45322 11-09-2009 04:27 PM

High Humidity

CL,

I grow mine with a light watering 3 times a week. It also gets a mild blast from my fogger when ever it is sunny and the humidity goes below 65%. Should I just cut off the watering all together and leave the fogger misting . I am afraid it the temp gets up to high it will dry the plant out too much.
Mike

stonedragonfarms 11-09-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjf45322 (Post 270266)
CL,

I grow mine with a light watering 3 times a week. It also gets a mild blast from my fogger when ever it is sunny and the humidity goes below 65%. Should I just cut off the watering all together and leave the fogger misting . I am afraid it the temp gets up to high it will dry the plant out too much.
Mike

Mike, are you growing in a greenhouse or under lights? And define too high for temps; I've not measured the air temps near the peak of my greenhouse on a sunny day in February, but the vents open at 76F, and I know that it is 5 degrees hotter, if not more than that up where my plant hangs during the winter months. What sort of temps do you currently grow under?
Adam

Bolero 11-10-2009 01:10 AM

Remember the name isn't put in " like that it's just:

Cymbidium Little Black Sambo

With capitals as the hybrid name.

Cym Ladye 11-10-2009 12:02 PM

Mike,

This sounds like way too much water and too high a humidity level in winter for any Cym. canaliculatum hybrid. As Adam asked, it would help if we knew what your growing area was and what climate zone you live in to give you more informative replies.

CL