Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Looking for feedback re cattleya hybrid wishlist list (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/27240-looking-feedback-re-cattleya-hybrid-wishlist-list.html)

orchidbingo 08-29-2009 12:19 PM

Looking for feedback re cattleya hybrid wishlist list

I am weeding through my WISH list of cattleya hybrids.
:blushing:

I would appreciate any feedback on any or all of the listed hybrids.

what should I scratch off the list? why?
what is a definite keeper? why?
what do you think is top of the list? why?

If you have any suggestions for additional hybrids they are very welcome but I ask that you limit the list to about 500 or so :rofl:

Blc. Samba Splendor 'Puerto Rico'

Blc. Hawaii Stars 'Pink Lace'

Blc. George King 'Southern Cross'

Blc. Mem. Grant Eichler 'Lennette' HCC/AOS

Blc. Lucky Strike 'AV Orchids

Blc. Majestic Light 'Glory'

Blc. Hawaiian Leopard 'Mei-Ling'

Blc. Greenwich 'Elmhurst'

Blc. Hawaiian Butterfly 'Paradise'

Blc. Lyn Evans

Blc. Waianae Leopard 'Ching Hua'

Blc. Toshie Aoki 'Carmela'

Blc. Lois McNeil 'Ace'

Blc. Dr. Joe Walker 'Ray Mishima'

Blc. Ann Cleo 'Star's & Stripe'

Blc. Samba Gift 'Hawaii'

Blc. Mem. John Odom 'Carmela'

Blc. Young Kong 'Sun #16'

C. Summer Spot 'Carmela'

Epc. Hanna Roberts 'Gold'

Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler'

Eplc. Mae Bly 'Ching Hua Splash'

Lc. Maui Plum 'Volcano Queen'

Lc. Love Knot 'Carmela Blue'

Lc. C. G. Roebling 'Sentinel'

Lc. Aloha Case 'S & W'

Lc. Frenchy's Melange 'Cylvia' AM/,CCM/AOS

Lc. Crownfox Sweetheart 'Paradise'

Lc. Carmela's Tropical Beauty 'Hawaii'

Lc. Angel Heart 'Hihimanu'

Pot. Makaha Enchantress 'Wine Bright'

Pot. Hisako Akatsuka 'Volcano Queen' HCC/AOS

Pot. Edith North 'Danny Adams'

Pot. San Damiano x Chocolate Drop

Pot. Hawaiian Prominence 'America'

Slc. Misty Girl 'Autumn Symphony'

Slc. Final Touch 'Mendenhall'

Slc. India Rose Sherwood 'Kiilani'

Stlma. Kelly 'Lea'

Yamadara Queen Adelia 'Kiilani'

Thanks in advance for all of your precious input:)

bingo

WhiteRabbit 08-29-2009 11:53 PM

:bump:

bingo
I don't know! lol
but bumping this for others who may

orchidbingo 08-30-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit (Post 251495)
:bump:

bingo
I don't know! lol
but bumping this for others who may

Thanks wabbie:)

bingo

snow 08-30-2009 12:09 AM

it all depends ;have you had success growing cattleyas if so does size matter otherwise i,d say go for what you like. good luck picking .catts are all so beautyfull

orchidbingo 08-30-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow (Post 251504)
it all depends ;have you had success growing cattleyas if so does size matter otherwise i,d say go for what you like. good luck picking .catts are all so beautyfull

Size isn't an issue. I seem to do fine with most of the hybrids. Can grow them from flask to bloom:)

I just can't seem to bloom the species :( I have a large C. dowiana var. rosita and a large L. purpurata var. carnea that just put out large leaves:(:(

So I'm just concentrating on hybrids. The problem is there are so many beautiful ones and so little time.

Thanks for the advice:)

bingo

King_of_orchid_growing:) 08-30-2009 01:38 AM

Whatever you do, the Lc. Love Knot 'Carmela Blue' has got to stay.

That's a nice one. Stays compact. Got nice "blue" flowers.

C. Summer Spots 'Carmela' looks nice too. It's most likely got thick waxy flowers from C. aclandiae and C. amethystoglossa. Lots of dense spotting. I'd go for something like that.

Why not replace Blc George King 'Southern Cross' with Blc George King 'Serendipity'? 'Serendipity' is peach colored, not too many of those around. But if you like the vanilla color on 'Southern Cross' better, then that's cool.

Blc Hawaiian Butterfly 'Paradise' looks like an awesome yellow. Full flowers, nice ruffles good solid yellow. Looks bright and cheery. IDK I like it.

Lc Frenchy's Milange is nice. Full flowers nice markings, good form.

Another suggestion might be Lc White Spark 'Panda'.

I've noticed you picked a lot of yellow flowers. Is that your favorite color?

orchidbingo 08-30-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_of_orchid_growing:) (Post 251518)
Whatever you do, the Lc. Love Knot 'Carmela Blue' has got to stay.

That's a nice one. Stays compact. Got nice "blue" flowers.

C. Summer Spots 'Carmela' looks nice too. It's most likely got thick waxy flowers from C. aclandiae and C. amethystoglossa. Lots of dense spotting. I'd go for something like that.

Why not replace Blc George King 'Southern Cross' with Blc George King 'Serendipity'? 'Serendipity' is peach colored, not too many of those around. But if you like the vanilla color on 'Southern Cross' better, then that's cool.

Blc Hawaiian Butterfly 'Paradise' looks like an awesome yellow. Full flowers, nice ruffles good solid yellow. Looks bright and cheery. IDK I like it.

Lc Frenchy's Milange is nice. Full flowers nice markings, good form.

Another suggestion might be Lc White Spark 'Panda'.

I've noticed you picked a lot of yellow flowers. Is that your favorite color?

Thanks! Those all sound like definite keepers.
I love King George Southern Cross- pale creamy yellow and yes yellow is one of my fav colors in flowers. I also really like peach so I'm adding Serendipity.

I agree that Lc. White Spark Panda is really great but I already own it.:D I posted pics of it in bud and fully open-- I think last week.

bingo

King_of_orchid_growing:) 08-30-2009 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orchidbingo (Post 251522)
I agree that Lc. White Spark Panda is really great but I already own it.:D I posted pics of it in bud and fully open-- I think last week.

bingo

Oh, I guess I didn't catch it. I'll go look! I've always wanted that one. Just never had space, and the rare orchid species always took precedence (never know when they'll pop up). :biggrin:

LauraN 08-30-2009 08:51 AM

The four that I would keep are...

Blc. Waianae Leopard 'Ching Hua'- Gorgeous flowers, I always get compliments when this one blooms!

Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler'- One of my personal favorites, love the look of the pseudoepidendrum in this one and the super size of the flowers is a special bonus, plus the flowers last a really long time!

Lc. Angel Heart 'Hihimanu'- I don't even know what this one looks like, but I have quite a few growing in the shade house and noticed that 2 are actually in bud.

Stlma. Kelly 'Lea'- This is one of the first hybrid cattleyas that I bought and I have a six inch basket full of the plant...easy grower super contrast of color, long lasting!

orchidbingo 08-30-2009 09:49 AM

Thanks Laura. All 4 are definite keepers!

(Sorry I don't know how to do the multi-quote deal)

Wow! I didn't realize Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler' had super-sized blooms. Pictures never do it justice. I love that green and pink combo-- so cheerful.:)

I'll be watching closely for your pics of Lc. Angel Heart 'Hihimanu'.

I'm glad to hear Stlma. Kelly 'Lea' is an easy grower. Her color combo is another really cool one.

bingo