Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - others (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/)
-   -   Anyone growing vandas in intermediate temperatures? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/26268-growing-vandas-intermediate-temperatures.html)

smweaver 07-31-2009 07:10 AM

Anyone growing vandas in intermediate temperatures?

Although I'm aware that Vanda coerulea likes cool winter temperatures, I'm interested in finding out whether any of you vanda growers have other species that have proven adaptable to cooler winter temperatures than what's typically advised for members of this genus. I've read that both V. merrillii and V. luzonica have been found in mountainous areas of the Philippines. So I'm going to experiment this winter and try to acclimate my plants of these two species to handling night temperatures in the low to mid 50s. If anyone else had attempted similar experiments on your vandas (again, not coerulea or the innumerable hybrids that have been derived from it), I would very much like to learn about your efforts--both success and failures. Thanks!

Steve

Roy 07-31-2009 09:04 AM

Steve, I have the one house that all my orchids grow in and it runs from 50f +/- 3f during the winter. If there is going to be a frost I switch on extra heating and the Vandas, Ascda, Vasco, Chtra, Rhynchos and Aerides grow and flower ok. As per my avatar.

Bird Song Farm 07-31-2009 10:23 AM

Steve, I have good luck with the Ascofinetia's as well as the V. coerulea, it gets really, really cold here in Maine. LOL

Al

King_of_orchid_growing:) 07-31-2009 11:50 AM

I have experience with both V. merrillii and V. luzonica. You're better off with the V. luzonica in intermediate conditions than the V. merrillii. V. merrillii is actually a bit of a warmer grower.

V. jennae, V. coerulescens, V. subconcolor, V. roeblingiana, and V. tricolor can all be grown in intermediate conditions.

Most Vanda species are not true warm growing plants. That concept arose because of the myriad of Vanda hybrids utilizing Vanda (Euanthe) sanderiana, which grows in warm climates that don't generally have large temperature differences between day and night or between seasons.

Vanda (Euanthe) sanderiana is the culprit behind this myth.

Bird Song Farm 07-31-2009 01:19 PM

Wow, thanks King, now I have some Vandas to look for.
Al

smweaver 07-31-2009 01:33 PM

Thanks very much, everyone. I don't think I can bear to part with my merrilliis. So I suppose I'll continue to haul them out of the sunroom each night and put them in the master bath, where they'll not have to adapt to the lower temperatures.

wonderlen3000 08-04-2009 05:57 PM

All the vanda species are intermediate grower, with coerulea and coerulescen in the cool end. V. bensonii, tessellata, jarvierae, tricolor can take lower intermediate temperature too. Infact of the whole vandaceae alliance, only Euthan(V.) sanderiana is a really warm grower and sensitive to cold. Even most Arachnis, Renanthera and Papilionanthe cam grow and bloom under intermediate condition.

I have no problem blooming pure Vanda hybrids under this condition and my night time temperature is only about 15-16 year round.

smweaver 08-04-2009 09:24 PM

Thank you for the feedback. What about V. insignis and V. lamellata? Strictly warm growers, or can they handle intermediate conditions at night during the winter?

wonderlen3000 08-06-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smweaver (Post 244554)
Thank you for the feedback. What about V. insignis and V. lamellata? Strictly warm growers, or can they handle intermediate conditions at night during the winter?

V. insignis is strictly warm grower. V. lamellata can tolerate wider temperature range depending on the variety. V. lamellata var. boxallii is intermediate grower as it came from highland of Phillippines and Taiwan. I say min 17-18'C for insignis and 14-16'C for lamellata. I say you will have a harder time finding insignis as it's quite rare in cultivation compare to other species.

smweaver 08-06-2009 04:30 PM

Well, I already have two plants each of V. insignis and V. lamellata (one of which is the variety boxallii). I guess I'll just have to keep the two insignis plant in the master bathroom this winter (it's got a huge south-facing window, so they should be okay in there). Luckily, insignis is (or has been so far) a fairly small-growing plant (compared to the two merrilliis I have, which are getting to be a bit of a pain due to their size). Thanks very much for the feedback!