Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   What happens to a paph after it blooms? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/25940-happens-paph-blooms.html)

Judi 07-20-2009 08:51 PM

What happens to a paph after it blooms?

2 Attachment(s)
I have a (Paph. Supersuk 'Eureka' AM/AOS x Paph. Raisin Pie 'Hsinying') x Sib that I purchased last November with a bud on it. It flowered beautifully until the end of February :D ; after the stem turned brown I cut it near the plant. No new leaves are growing where the flower was, but it did start a new plant in early April--see attached pictures. This is my first paph, so I have no idea how they grow. Will the original plant ever grow new leaves Is it normal for them to send up a new plant after flowering? Do they flower only once on a plant? How often do they Bloom? All newbie questions :confused:

John D. 07-20-2009 09:19 PM

What it's doing is normal. The plant only flowers once from each growth. The old growth will continue to provide strength for the new growth for a while sometimes several years depending on the type. As the plant gets larger it may start several growths at a time which will bloom when they mature.

Judi 07-20-2009 09:44 PM

Thanks John! Do you have any idea how long it usually takes for a new growth to be mature and bloom?

RosieC 07-21-2009 04:56 AM

I agree with John, what you are seeing is not so much a new plant, as a new growth on the plant, and this is how they normally grow.

I'm new to Paphs as well and mine currently has three growths putting out new leaves. All three were there when I bought the plant (along with a fourth which was in flower at that time), but since the flower dropped they have all three grown new leaves.

I too am wondering how long it might take for a growth to bloom, also is there anything we should be doing to encourage buds to form.

billc 07-21-2009 07:05 AM

Hi Judi, That's a good cross you have. I've had the same cross for 4 years. Depending on your growing conditions, it could bloom every year. Mine skipped this past year for some reason, but I'm hopeful it will bloom in the fall.

Bill

tuvoc 07-21-2009 09:33 AM

Hi Judi. Your plant looks fine. I have the same cross in bloom right now, and they are great. You have a good looking new growth starting already. They grow slowly, so be patient. You should have another bloom next year.

Kim

Ray 07-21-2009 10:05 AM

The cross of Paph Supersuk x Raisin Pie has been registered as paph Hsinying Alien

tuvoc 07-21-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 240941)
The cross of Paph Supersuk x Raisin Pie has been registered as paph Hsinying Alien

Wow, thanks Ray. I looked around and found a couple of names. This one sure fits mine.

Kim

Judi 07-21-2009 04:10 PM

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them all :D So I'm harboring an alien in my house :shock: All kidding aside, I love the paph, I got it at Lowes for 14.99 mixed in with the phals, I think they had no idea what this chid was. I'm really looking forward to more flowers :biggrin:

Amanda L 07-22-2009 12:06 AM

Wow! Wish I could make a find like that!!! WTG!

I have this same cross. I haven't seen her in bloom yet and I can't wait to see her!