Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Pro-tekt & Dyna-gro (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/25755-pro-tekt-dyna-gro.html)

Psyguy10 07-13-2009 11:05 PM

Pro-tekt & Dyna-gro

'ello everybody :waving
I just wanted to ask if anyone has ever tried a product called Pro-tekt, and if so would you say it's worth the benjamins or that you wouldn't take it even if they were handing it out for free? :hmm And i was also wonderin' if anyone has tried the fertilizer Dyna-gro (i'm killing two birds with one stone!... or rather one post :rofl: )and if that stuff is any good :whistling thanks a ton :biggrin:

Narnia 07-14-2009 12:05 AM

I don't know about Pro-tekt, but I use KLN which is made by dyna-grow. KLN seems to get rave reviews all over the OB. I would assume if they can make a good rooting concentrate, they can also make a good fertilizer? That's just my:twocents:

I'm sure someone will come along with better information.

Ray 07-14-2009 09:48 AM

I used Dyna-Gro "Grow" formula for years and was very pleased with the results.

Pro-teKt is a potassium silicate solution that was touted as making plants more insect resistant, due to the silica ending up in the cell walls (which I do not believe), but it does seem to give the plants some added resistance to high temperatures.

You cannot mix Pro-teKt with fertilizers in concentrated form. You must add it to the already-dilute solution or there will be a lot of non-soluble solids precipitating out.

Don Perusse 07-14-2009 10:57 AM

I've been using both for years with my Bonsai. I do beleive that Pro-tek does help with resistance and make them more tough so as to speak. I've also used Dyn-gro but beleive there are many other good fertilizers one can use. I also use KLN with good results. About a year ago I started using with my orchids and beleive it has helped my collection thrive.

Weebl 07-17-2009 11:25 AM

I personally use Ray's MSU Fertilizer. It's cheaper than anything I can find at the local OSH or Home Depot and I trust the research gone into it and the good results I have heard so many share. There's plenty of info on Ray's site about it, in addition to many posts on this board talking of members experiences with various fertilizers.

I have used pro-tekt, and still have some which I mix once or twice a year to feed the plants. As to whether or not it helps, I don't know! But I figure I should use it, albeit sparingly, while I have it.

cirillonb 07-17-2009 01:24 PM

DynaGro for Orchids has one thing going for it, availablity. No need to mail order as most full service garden centers carry it in their greenhouse section (presuming they also retail orchids.) I have switched to the MSU formulae only because they seem more studied but had no trouble when I used DynaGro. Remember, DynaGro is the company. They make several products, not all of which are for orchids specifically.
Nick

magda 07-18-2009 07:54 PM

I have used ProTekt for several years now, and I do like it. I don't know about all their claims, but it does seem to give plants more heat tolerance which is very important for me with super hot summers. But you cannot add it to a concentrate--it will precipitate out.

As for Dyna-Grow, I have found that MSU works better and it is cheaper--not shipping water. :) In fact, I just did a 18 month experiment comparing phal seedlings just out of flask. I got much better overall growth with the MSU than the DynaGrow 7-9-5.

Psyguy10 07-19-2009 01:17 AM

Thank you all for the replies!
I'll make sure not to mix the fertilizer and Pro-tekt together at once. ;)
And Magda, thats a very interesting experiment! perhaps next i'll simply go with MSU :Tup:

ToddsterVonCattMan 07-24-2009 09:55 PM

I'm with others on this thread—have used Dyna Grow over the years, and had excellent results. It's a good formula complete with micro nutrients, and was very good when it was really the best player in the game.

But now that we have MSU, I have really abandoned Dyna Grow to a large degree. I am still using up the gallon I have, but after that...?

Still will buy Pro-tekt however; it seems to help (though not DRAMATICALLY),but because it is so base, it's great for raising pH—for us RO users it can really be handy...

I generally use around 1/2 tsp MSU to 1/8-1/4 tsp Pro-tekt to get a pH of 6.5-7.0 for my fertilizer solution(s)...

Ray 07-25-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirillonb (Post 240127)
DynaGro for Orchids has one thing going for it, availablity. No need to mail order as most full service garden centers carry it in their greenhouse section (presuming they also retail orchids.)

True, but think about the "bang for the buck" factor.

Dyna-Gro Grow formula (7-9-5) retails for $19.00 per quart. If you're shooting for 125 ppm N, that quart will make up 134.4 gallons of solution, at a bit over $0.14 per gallon.

I sell 5# of the MSU fertilizer for $20.00. Using the Well Water formula (19-4-23) to be on the same footing as the "Grow", for 125 ppm N, that 5# will produce 908 gallons of solution at just over $0.02 per gallon. Yes, you probably have to pay for shipping, but as long as that is under $107, you're still better off.