Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Antique, Vintage & Heirloom Cattleyas (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/21657-antique-vintage-heirloom-cattleyas.html)

jcaesar 03-13-2009 09:06 AM

Antique, Vintage & Heirloom Cattleyas

I'm a die hard Cattleya species fan, but I do have an appreciation for the older hybrids. I've managed to locate a few over the years: Harlequin, Colorama, Peggy Huffman, Bryce Canyon, Froth, Mount Hood, etc.

Could anyone familiar with the older hybrids post the names here? I'm putting together a "shopping list" to carry with me when I go to local orchid sales. I don't want to overlook any special plants because I didn't recognize them!

Thanks!

tuvoc 03-13-2009 11:01 AM

I'm not sure how old this cross is, but one of my alltime favorite primary crosses is Lc. Canhamiana. You mentioned in your list Harlequin. Is it Bc. Harlequin 'Act 1'? I've lusted over this cross for years, and would love to find a source for it. If you know of one, I would be in your debt big time.

Kim

Cookiemonster 03-13-2009 11:15 AM

Hi Jcaesar,
I think you and I are on the same routes with looking for oldies- I started in about September of last year and I have a few points that I thought I would mention.
Many of these older beauties have been around the block with their handling, many are indeed virused. If virus is a concern for you like it is for me, your going to have to really look around. Some growers are open to testing, some disregard it and others are offended.

Buy from someone who stands 100% behind their plants, I rec the same for you. Ask if they test for virus, dont be surprised if many do not! Some growers I have spoken to KNOW they have infected plants they believe it becomes inevitable with any large collection.
Many of these older plants your going to have to ask growers about and hunt in their GH. Best of luck to you!!

Some of my favs are
C Old Whitey
C Mary Lynn Mckenzie
Blc Amy Wakasugi
Bc Meditation
C. Valentine
Lc.Poor Paul 'Blue Heaven'

Zozzl 03-13-2009 11:39 AM

How 'bout:

Lc. Mildred Rives 'Orchidglade'
C. Horace
Blc. Marcella Koss 'Pink Marvel'

When I was a kid I lived in Miami and was able to go to Jones & Skully and boy did they have some beautiful orchids, which would now be considered "vintage." I would to like have a list too. I love the bifolate species but there is something about the older "antiques" that calls to me. Hausermann's has some if you go to their website, mostly crosses they have made themselves. I am not too crazy about all these splashes and flares. I think maybe the hybridizers have gotten a bit carried away and the more classical, elegant flowers outshine them any day!

cabnc 03-13-2009 12:07 PM

Check this site:

Hackneau's Art & Orchids, Courtney Hackney & Rose Ganucheau

Sadly, Dr. Hackney moved from Wilmington, NC (my home) to FL shortly after I became interested in orchids. Perhaps you can find a copy of his book:

American Cattleyas by Courtney Hackney

Make give you some names, etc of the oldies.

Charlie

jcaesar 03-13-2009 01:15 PM

Act I

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuvoc (Post 203331)
You mentioned in your list Harlequin. Is it Bc. Harlequin 'Act 1'? I've lusted over this cross for years, and would love to find a source for it. If you know of one, I would be in your debt big time.

Kim

Hi Kim,

I purchased it recently and I wrote down the source. I'll look for it this weekend. If you're interested, someone on the board posted the Harlequin "Elizabeth Off" clone as a seedling...said to be virus free. I saved that link somewhere too.

jcaesar 03-13-2009 01:28 PM

Viruses

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookiemonster (Post 203333)
I thought I would mention many of these older beauties have been around the block with their handling, many are indeed virused.

You're right about that. You can sometimes tell when an older plant just doesn't have any "umph", it's probably due to virus. My friend & I exchanged war stories recently of all the Act I's we've killed over the years (probably because they were all virused). I flame all my cutting tools, bleach the pots & clips and nuke any and all insects into submission with topicals & systemics, so I'm not overly concerned about virus spreading, though I'm sure it could happen. I like your list. I'm looking for a "Nature's Masterpiece" (MLK).

jcaesar 03-13-2009 01:37 PM

Jones & Scully

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozzl (Post 203339)
When I was a kid I lived in Miami and was able to go to Jones & Skully and boy did they have some beautiful orchids.

You were so lucky to be able to visit Jones & Scully. I got into orchids long after they closed, along with Orchid Jungle (Andrew & Benlate definately took it's toll on the growers in S. Fla). I forgot until I saw your list that I have a Mildred Reeves "Orchidglade". I got it at a K-mart of all places, so someone must be cloning it.

peeweelovesbooks 03-13-2009 05:20 PM

I have a Jones and Scully orchid catalog from 1971 if you wish me to list the hybrids noted there. :)

jcaesar 03-16-2009 08:10 AM

Jones & Scully

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeweelovesbooks (Post 203412)
I have a Jones and Scully orchid catalog from 1971 if you wish me to list the hybrids noted there. :)

That would be great! :D