Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Feline Urine on Orchids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/20562-feline-urine-orchids.html)

Becca 02-10-2009 11:01 PM

Feline Urine on Orchids

I am sooo peeved! I just discovered, for the second time, that my cat has decided to mark/spray on my orchids that are on my plant stand! So my question is, how bad or what will feline urine do to orchids, even more their roots, besides just smell bad? I have tried to clean them off the best I can, but it is already lights out and I don't want to risk getting water in the crowns. Most are phals, one about to bloom (which really erks me), and a couple of my Neo's! Luckily the Neo's didn't get hit from what I can tell. Bus I am sooooo mad! I am tired of my cat marking and spraying! We have two cat's (both spayed and neutered), one is a love bug (the male) and one is jealous and hormonal as heck (my female), so I figure it is my jealous one since the marking is always on my stuff, my side of the couch (on the arm), my laptop sitting in my reclining chair, and my orchids, rarely on my hubby's stuff!

Anyways, I think some of the roots on one of the phals may have gotten it pretty well. I guess I could put a plastic enclosure around it but then I have to make arrangments for a fan on the inside of it and I really don't want to go that direction. Dang cat's! If it wasn't for me having her since she was a kitten (now she is almost 10) I would send her to find a new home!

:((

susiep 02-11-2009 12:05 AM

:shock: Yikes! You are a good sport! I have cats too, but spraying is hard to deal with (I wouldn't be as nice as you). My suggestion is to move the orchids away from harm. I hang everything from the ceiling that I don't want the cats to get, including my birds cage. Be sure to flush those plants with water ASAP. Cat urine is strong stuff! Just dry out the crowns with the corner of a paper towel if you are worried about rot. :goodluck:

let_it_grow 02-11-2009 12:36 AM

don't know what the urine will do but I have a plant room cause my cats knock mine over

Becca 02-11-2009 08:36 AM

Unfortunately my house is teeny tiny and I don't really have options as far as where to put my plants, and another orchidarium is way out of the question. I need the lights on the bottom shelf of the plant stand for growing my 'chids. I could look into a cheaper fixture and move the 'chids to the top level of the plant stand. All orchids live in the basement and unfortunately, that is were the kitties eat as well due to space. The solution! Move to a bigger house.....yeah that isn't going to be possible for a couple of years!

I'll be sure to flush the pots, but unfortunately the pots have moss in them so I may just have to change the potting medium. Grrrrrr!

bullsie 02-11-2009 10:59 AM

Hi Becca

First start by getting a good fresh kitty pee sample and taking it to the vets to determine if there are any signs of infection or crystals. (If the urine is strong smelling, its your he not your she spraying - even sterilized, little boy pee is still stronger).

Also, anytime an ammonia product is used - not sure what are in some fertilizers - but even a pseudo ammonia smell will attact a kitty to add to the smell.

I cannot image the urine doing much, but probably wouldn't hurt to flush the victims. Figure, the big kitties in the wild leave their mark on orchids without any long term harm - probably aids in fertilizing them. Should be fairly safe with the little versions.

Hope though you can get to the core of the problem so that all can enjoy life together.

Jamielee 02-11-2009 11:02 AM

I don't really have a solution for you but i just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Right now I am living in an efficiency apartment (No doors, only half walls) with both of my cats, and my boyfriend. The space issue is killing me, and my cats seem a lot like yours...both spayed/neutred. The male is sweet as he can be but the female... she has marked my Birkenstock sandals and knocked over a few orchids. I don't know what to do other than deal with it. I did go to the pet store and buy some cat pheromone spray which is supposed to calm them and keep them from spraying...not sure if it is working though. Good luck!

bullsie 02-11-2009 11:10 AM

Oops, one more thought. Not that it is a big help, but put food where they seem to like to urinate. They don't like to go where there is food. Sometimes this helps. Also, add another litterbox - doesn't have to be a biggie, but gives them more options.

Becca 02-11-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullsie (Post 192056)
Oops, one more thought. Not that it is a big help, but put food where they seem to like to urinate. They don't like to go where there is food. Sometimes this helps. Also, add another litterbox - doesn't have to be a biggie, but gives them more options.

Hi bullsie! I appreciate you helpful tips! I have had my female tested to verify there were no health problems, so I am glad to report the vet said she is fine! I also have two cat litter boxes, one on each level, that I clean daily, plus they have access to go outdoors through a cat door in the garage, and another one from the garage to outside. And as far as placing their food were they are marking, well the orchids on my plant stand are litterally right next to their food bowls! I guess I could move the food bowls in front of the orchids...lol. I leave their blankets on our chairs now because so far there hasn't been any marking on the recliners anymore since I have started doing that. I have a die that the vet gave me to use that will allow me to tell who's spraying but I haven't been having spraying issues for about 3 weeks so I hadn't started to administer it yet. I guess it is time now! I thought it was maybe a neighbor cat coming in (I have caught them before), but come on, why would a neighbor cat only mark on my stuff? And we can't figure out why our lover boy would mark on just my stuff, he is more of my hubby's cat, but is super laid back and doesn't have a jealous bone in him, so why would he be doing it? It is pretty much impossible to say who is doing it for sure as it never happens when I am around to see it!

Thanks for letting me vent everyone...lol.

bullsie 02-11-2009 02:03 PM

Yep, those buggers never do it in front of you. They know better!

Vent away! Kittie owners understand!

Sandy4453 02-12-2009 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I sympathize with you. I've got room for at least another 100 orchids in my growing area on the lower shelving units but that would be suicide! One of my 2 cats, loves the taste of orchids. Paphs and Phals, especially but she doesn't discriminate.

Hang in there or hang them high!

Here's her latest signature.....