Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Propagation (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/propagation/)
-   -   Polyrrhiza Lindenii flask - what temps? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/propagation/20234-polyrrhiza-lindenii-flask-temps.html)

s1214215 02-01-2009 08:34 PM

Polyrrhiza Lindenii flask - what temps?

Hi Everyone

I have a flask of Polyrrhiza Lindenii. What temperature should I keep it at? I was advised by the seller to keep it cool and not too much light as I want to keep the seedlings in the flask for some time longer.

Brett

flhiker 02-01-2009 09:57 PM

Hi Brett, I would try to keep it around 80F. degrees

s1214215 02-01-2009 11:12 PM

Many thanks. That was about the temperature I was thinking of too. I dont want them to grow too fast as I am moving back to Australia next year. I am hoping I wont have to reflask them, but I will have to see I guess.

Brett

flhiker 02-01-2009 11:24 PM

Your welcome. By far my favorite orchid. They are not real fast grower to begin with. Good Luck

gixrj18 02-02-2009 01:13 AM

If they start to struggle in any way, I would up the light....they love bright light (I have grown them in full sun). I have a flask of them currently sitting about 4" beneath a T5 light, and they love it. I realize you are trying to make them grow slow, so stay with the low light. But if they ever start to go downhill, that will be the problem. I had a couple seedlings that slowly declined in health, from the day I got them...until they were almost dead. One day, I stuck them in the full sun, and they recovered vigorously. This was in Fla. humidity, so I don't advise this in a more northerly climate...Hey Dave, like the disclaimer?

s1214215 02-02-2009 01:31 AM

Thanks Everyone

I appreciate the advice. I will up the light a bit with T5 I think. I guess if I need to I can reflask them. So far the are only taking up half the bottles height, so they have room to grow and the media is fresh. I think minimum they would have 9 months in this flask, if not more. See how it goes. If they look to be going backward, I will reflask. My biggest concern was temperature as my apartment where I am living until next year gets to 86F on a hot day, but hovers at 82F most days.

I am running the aircond to lower the temp at the moment, but am going to try rigging an old aquarium and some form of cooling

Brett

flhiker 02-02-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixrj18 (Post 188345)
If they start to struggle in any way, I would up the light....they love bright light (I have grown them in full sun). I have a flask of them currently sitting about 4" beneath a T5 light, and they love it. I realize you are trying to make them grow slow, so stay with the low light. But if they ever start to go downhill, that will be the problem. I had a couple seedlings that slowly declined in health, from the day I got them...until they were almost dead. One day, I stuck them in the full sun, and they recovered vigorously. This was in Fla. humidity, so I don't advise this in a more northerly climate...Hey Dave, like the disclaimer?

Don't mean to change the subject. but how are they doing?

gixrj18 02-02-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flhiker (Post 188404)
Don't mean to change the subject. but how are they doing?

Unfortunately, they got caught in a cold snap, and didn't make it. I have some more, so I was kind of experimenting with those, testing the threshold. It seems they can handle the cold, they just can't handle that dry air. I've had a few more outside all winter, in an aquarium (hanging above bubbling water), and they have survived the winter....some have even got new growth. This is all kind of testing for when I de-flask my nice ones.

Swamper 02-02-2009 10:58 AM

I had my flask in a window sill but they never got direct sun. Now I have them out and they are doing great so far, still in the same spot getting indirect sun. My house is usually around 70 at night 78 while everyone is out at work and school.

flhiker 02-02-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamper (Post 188435)
I had my flask in a window sill but they never got direct sun. Now I have them out and they are doing great so far, still in the same spot getting indirect sun. My house is usually around 70 at night 78 while everyone is out at work and school.

Hey Joe, didn't know you had a flask. That's cool. Where did you acquire it? I was outbid by 1.00 on a flask a few months ago on eBay. Hope I was not bidding against you