Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Seldom seen Cattleya kerrii (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/20142-seldom-seen-cattleya-kerrii.html)

Rosim_in_BR 01-30-2009 05:19 AM

Seldom seen Cattleya kerrii

This is a small species (4-6" or 10-15 cm in height) with very slender stems discovered in a small area of the southeastern State of Bahia, in Brazil. It was described in 1967 and soon after it was not found in the wild anymore and many considered it extinct until 1982 when a small population was found again. It is now on the list of the seriously endangered species.
The flower reminds a little those of C. loddigesii, but the lip has the unique feature of folding the sides of the mid lobe back giving a triangular aspect when you look at it from a frontal point of view. Also, the mid lobe takes a vertical position forming a square angle with the column. The general characteristics of the flower are those of the bifoliate Cattleyas, but this species is not bifoliate, although very occasionally a second leaf can appear. It is the only species inside the genus Cattleya known until now having bifoliate-type flowers on a monofoliate plant.
Seedlings of this species can begin to flower when the plants are only 4" tall, the flowers being 2.8-3.1" across.

Cattleya kerrii:
Cattleya kerrii Brieger & Bicalho on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cattleya kerri side view and whole plant view:

Cattleya kerrii's beautiful lip detail:

Sandy4453 01-30-2009 07:37 AM

I'm just waking up here and can't form complete sentences yet, this early:biggrin: except to say, WOW, another one of your spectacular orchids. The lip and form are gorgeous.

Tindomul 01-30-2009 07:50 AM

Wow, just amazing. Thanks for the info. Until now, I did not realize the difference in flower pattern between unifoliate and bifoliate. Thanks so much for the elightenment. I am assuming that bifoliate, with the exception of this one, has the flowers that have slender petals and sepals as compared to say, C. lueddemanniana with the big floofy flowers.

Rosim_in_BR 01-30-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tindomul (Post 187469)
Wow, just amazing. Thanks for the info. Until now, I did not realize the difference in flower pattern between unifoliate and bifoliate. Thanks so much for the elightenment. I am assuming that bifoliate, with the exception of this one, has the flowers that have slender petals and sepals as compared to say, C. lueddemanniana with the big floofy flowers.

Your're on the right track, Tindo. Let me try to make things a bit more precise saying that the general vegetative aspect of this species is very similar to the bifoliate Cats, except that it has only one leaf per stem. The flower shape is typical of the bifoliate, the vegetative parts also, but it has only one leaf which makes it a very singular species because it is unifoliate but its flowers are not fluffy like the labiate unifoliate (C. luedd., percivaliana etc) and it has bifoliate-type flowers, but is not bifoliate.:)
Hope I did not make things worst than they were!!:rofl:

Rosim_in_BR 01-30-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy4453 (Post 187466)
I'm just waking up here and can't form complete sentences yet, this early:biggrin: except to say, WOW, another one of your spectacular orchids. The lip and form are gorgeous.

Thanks, Sandy! I have a special care for this species. I grow three plants and I am pollinating this.

Virgil 01-30-2009 08:51 AM

Mauro , that is a nice little plant, I am glad to see you trying to save it from the indangered list

Tindomul 01-30-2009 09:52 AM

Thanks Mauro! You came across crystal clear. :waving

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosim_in_BR (Post 187482)
Your're on the right track, Tindo. Let me try to make things a bit more precise saying that the general vegetative aspect of this species is very similar to the bifoliate Cats, except that it has only one leaf per stem. The flower shape is typical of the bifoliate, the vegetative parts also, but it has only one leaf which makes it a very singular species because it is unifoliate but its flowers are not fluffy like the labiate unifoliate (C. luedd., percivaliana etc) and it has bifoliate-type flowers, but is not bifoliate.:)
Hope I did not make things worst than they were!!:rofl:

tuvoc 01-30-2009 10:54 AM

What a wonderful little gem, Mauro.

Kim

cb977 01-30-2009 11:35 AM

This one is SO cute! I love that lip! :cloud9:

isurus79 01-30-2009 02:32 PM

I really like that color, very soft and the veining is really cool. The fact that this plant is a unifoliate with bifoliate flowers is very cool too! Do you think this plant could be a recent natural hybrid (ie. 1000 years) or is in fact its own confused species?