Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   How do I make my Orchids bloom again? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/18904-orchids-bloom.html)

athena 12-21-2008 04:28 PM

How do I make my Orchids bloom again?

I love my each and everyone of my orchids, but I'm having problems with making them bloom since I've bought them. After switching to MSU fertilizer, I've been getting some wonderful growth from each and every orchid, but they aren't blooming. Any tips on how to make my pretty orchids bloom would be greatly appreciated!

kiki-do 12-21-2008 04:33 PM

Well, off the top of my head, my tip would be to make sure night time temps are a good deal cooler than daytime temps. That hopefully will cause them to spike.
I would say at least a 10 degree drop. :)

Myst 12-21-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena (Post 176525)
Any tips on how to make my pretty orchids bloom would be greatly appreciated!

cosign.

whygreenberg 12-21-2008 04:49 PM

athena...great username! i'd also make sure that your 'chids are getting the amount of light that they need. they should get as much light as they can each possibly stand. that amount, of course, really depends on what kindsa 'chids you've got.

athena 12-21-2008 04:56 PM

Does anyone know of a good online orchid encycolpedia that deals with light and such recommendations for each orchid breed?

camille1585 12-21-2008 05:08 PM

Try here, you'll find info on pretty much any orchid! This is the first place I go to get basic info on an orchid, although it may be a bit incorrect for some plants.
Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia
Ob is also a great place to get info too.;)

Jkelee 12-21-2008 06:16 PM

Hi Athena!!

I'm not a Pro, but since I put my babies outside this summer, YAHOOOOO!!! Bloooms GALORE!!!
If you CAN, give them a good temp drop. I live in pretty warm area, but they get a good 20+ drop nightly. But I don't let them get below 50! I cover them up, and throw heaters in my chid hotel if the temps going below 50!

Check out my pics in my photobucket to see the chid hotel covered up, and heaters.

Good luck with your babies Athena!

Brooke 12-21-2008 07:20 PM

What kind of orchid is it?

Brooke

nhman 12-21-2008 10:46 PM

For the most part, if you are getting good new growth but no blooms, two things may be happening:

1) It is not the correct season for the orchid to bloom
2) The plant is not getting enough light intensity to bloom.

The later is the more probable. Check and make sure that your plant is getting the correct intensity of light that it requires (the best way is using a light meter) and you should be rewarded with blooms!!

Ray 12-22-2008 08:07 AM

The most common reasons an orchid will not bloom are:
  • Insufficient light
  • Insufficient nutrition
  • Too much nitrogen
With many phals, there is also the requirement that they see a 10- to 14 day period with average temperatures below about 65°F, in order to initiate spikes.

Then again, maybe the biggest problem is impatience.

However, as Brooke pointed out, you have not told us what kinds of orchids you're talking about, and without that, none of our suggestions may have much value.