Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Which orchids in YOUR collection get a winter rest? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/16638-orchids-collection-winter-rest.html)

cb977 10-10-2008 11:45 AM

Which orchids in YOUR collection get a winter rest?

Hi everybody :waving

There is always SO much confusion about orchids and which ones get a "winter rest"...even those of us with extensive collections and LOTS of research find it a daunting question so...

I decided to list here which orchids in my collection I put on the side and treat differently from Halloween through Valentine's Day. I use those holidays as a general guide...if I see lots of action in late January, I do sometimes bring them out of their rest earlier. As with everything orchids...there is no one exact set of rules...pay attention to your plants and they will tell you what they need ;)

I've started moving my winter rest chids to their own rack, away from the other racks in the room to avoid any overspray. They are still getting misted at the moment but it is a much lighter misting...and it will stop at or around Halloween. After that, the rack will get a very general light misting once every two weeks or so until early February:

Den nobile var kingianum
Den aggregatum
Den lindleyi (aka aggregatum ;) )
Den smilleae
Den farmeri x griffithianum
Den kingianum
Den Little Sweet Scent
Den amethystoglossum
Den moschatum
Den dantaniense
Den pierardii
Den aphyllum
Den anosmum
Den senile
Dendrochilum filiforme (slight rest)
Ctsm Rebecca Northen (mine is now gone :bua: but she did get a severe winter rest when I had her)
Ctsm pileatum
Galeandra batemannii x greenwoodiana (still in bloom now but will be moved to the "rest" shelf once that's done)
Barkeria scandens
Barkeria Marsh Melton (slight rest...first year with this one and only one parent likes an actual rest :crossfing )
Stan lietzii (slight rest)
*after reading through our Neo forum, I realized these two go too:
Neo falcata
Neo Falcata 'Benisuzume'

I'm sure I've missed a few and will amend my list here as I find them.

If each of us gives our individual list here, I think it will help the many people who are just starting out or aren't sure about what they should do. I'm making this thread a "sticky" till the end of November.

Now it's your turn...what plants do you personally treat differently during the winter months?

:hmm

Ross 10-10-2008 11:58 AM

My only winter rest orchids are:

Dendrobium anosmum
Dendrobium senile

cb977 10-10-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross (Post 155429)
My only winter rest orchids are:

Dendrobium anosmum
Dendrobium senile

LOL...thanks Ross...I forgot to add the Den senile :blushing:

cb977 10-10-2008 02:19 PM

Come on folks...lists please :typing:

:blowkisses:

Ross 10-10-2008 02:28 PM

We didn't get much first time around, either. :scratchhead:

camille1585 10-10-2008 02:32 PM

I only have two for now that need winter rest, and the last one I will be buying in a few weeks, when I will finally have time to go to a nursery near Rotterdam.

Dendrobium kingianum
Dendrobium aphyllum
Barkeria spectabilis

cb977 10-10-2008 02:32 PM

I'm hoping it's just that folks aren't at their computers right now...because we all know this will help with the hot topic of winter rest when our members contribute ;)

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

cb977 10-10-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 155481)
I only have two for now that need winter rest, and the last one I will be buying in a few weeks, when I will finally have time to go to a nursery near Rotterdam.

Dendrobium kingianum
Dendrobium aphyllum
Barkeria spectabilis

Thanks Camille...now I'm wondering if all Barkeria get a rest :scratchhead: I'll have to get it researched :faint:

camille1585 10-10-2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb977 (Post 155483)
Thanks Camille...now I'm wondering if all Barkeria get a rest :scratchhead: I'll have to get it researched :faint:

I think this Barkeria needs rest. At least, that's what I found on internet but I'll ask the grower about it. This is a completely need genus for me!

cb977 10-10-2008 02:42 PM

Camille, for yours, according to Orchidwiz:
due to heavy dew in their location, the water should be heavily reduced but they shouldn't be allowed to go completely dry for long periods of time. Occasional early morning mistings, especially on bright sunny days will help keep it from becoming too dry. Eliminate fertilizer until you see new growths.

**Basically the same info for my two Barkeria,
which are Barkeria scandens and
Barkeria Marsh Melton (Barkeria melanocaulon x Barkeria whartoniana)

See? This thread has helped already! :banana: