Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cymbidium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/)
-   -   Ansellia africana Lindl. (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/16313-ansellia-africana-lindl.html)

Rosim_in_BR 09-30-2008 10:21 PM

Ansellia africana Lindl.

I always wanted to try this showy African orchid, so I bought a small seedling and hang it high to receive as much light as possible. the plant has been growing well and bloomed for the first time now! Beautiful tigerish pattern!
Ansellia africana Lindl. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Ansellia africana Lindl. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

boytjie 09-30-2008 10:27 PM

Be careful, those things can get huge! I saw one once growing in the Kruger National Park in South Africa, on top of an old dead tree, in full sun. It had to be at least eight feet in diameter, growing in every direction, with an uncountable number of blooming spikes.

dgenovese1 09-30-2008 11:47 PM

Mauro,

Those blooms are outstanding. :Tup:

I'm going to need to stop looking at your posts...my wish list keeps growing every time I do. :rofl:

In all seriousness, I really do appreciate that you post your photos. :)

bellini girl 10-01-2008 12:21 AM

Really beautiful Mauro. How long before it bloomed?

Lecent

Rosim_in_BR 10-01-2008 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boytjie (Post 152698)
Be careful, those things can get huge! I saw one once growing in the Kruger National Park in South Africa, on top of an old dead tree, in full sun. It had to be at least eight feet in diameter, growing in every direction, with an uncountable number of blooming spikes.

Yes, Stephen, this species can be huge. I have seen some large plants here, but nothing like the thing you describe!!:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellini girl (Post 152723)
Really beautiful Mauro. How long before it bloomed?

Lecent

The seedling was as tall as 10 cm when I bought it two years ago, Lecent. It seems to be a fast grower and apparently an early bloomer!

Rosim_in_BR 10-01-2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgenovese1 (Post 152718)
Mauro,

Those blooms are outstanding. :Tup:

I'm going to need to stop looking at your posts...my wish list keeps growing every time I do. :rofl:

In all seriousness, I really do appreciate that you post your photos. :)

I know what you mean! It's the same here with me when I see beautiful orchids that I don't have. And there are so many I don't have yet!!:rofl:

Sandy4453 10-01-2008 08:10 AM

If I had the room and right light to provide, this plant would be in my collection, no doubt. Absolutely gorgeous.

smweaver 10-01-2008 08:17 AM

Beautiful flowers and plant, Mauro. I like this species too (although I'm not so fond of its scent).

Steve

orchids3 10-01-2008 10:30 AM

It looks a little like the Cyrtopodium Punctatum we find here in Florida USA. It may be related. From what you say it must like high light levels but how much water does it need?

pheli 10-01-2008 11:03 AM

That's pretty! My plant failed to bloom this year.