Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Bulbophyllum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/bulbophyllum-alliance/)
-   -   Staggered Blooms (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/bulbophyllum-alliance/16112-staggered-blooms.html)

Jerry Delaney 09-25-2008 12:12 AM

Staggered Blooms

4 Attachment(s)
I am new at this Bulbo game. Tried some maybe 15 - 20 years ago; managed to kill them all! The Cirr makoyanum is blooming OK (I guess?) but the inflorescences seem to mature sporadically. Is that normal for this species or is there something I can do to get more blooms open at the same time. I know that this way, the blooming period is prolonged, but at least twice this many blooms have already gone and there is more coming. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh, the second bloom is a cross of fascinator and bicolor.

tuvoc 09-25-2008 10:04 AM

Sorry I can't answer your queation, Jerry, as I'm just starting with bulbos myself. I just wanted to say that if I get Half of what you got. I'd be in heaven. They look great.

Kim

Tindomul 09-25-2008 11:17 AM

What do you mean by sporadically? Do you mean that they simply do not all bloom together, at the same time? If so, I would say this is normal for the entire family.

Jerry Delaney 09-25-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tindomul (Post 150878)
What do you mean by sporadically? Do you mean that they simply do not all bloom together, at the same time? If so, I would say this is normal for the entire family.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't sure if I changed some of the growing conditions i. e. temperature,humidity, light, etc if more would bloom at the same time. Guess I'll just leave it alone. Again, thanks.

Sandy4453 09-25-2008 05:11 PM

Jerry, I've got to tell you that this plant is one of the prettiest I've seen, in fact, it's sensational. Now that you know blooming occurs continuously (during it's season) and not all at one time, means you get to enjoy the plant, longer. These flowers don't last long, maybe about a week so, it works out much better for your viewing pleasure.:D

I've got 2 makoyanum that I'm waiting on to spike. After seeing these pics, I can't wait. Also have a fascinator that I'm patiently waiting on.:tapfoot:

Enjoy and happy growing!

whygreenberg 09-25-2008 06:14 PM

Jerry, those look fantastic to me! I'd say whatever you're doing is spot on. Great growing!

Lagoon 09-25-2008 08:20 PM

Your on a roll, Jerry! Lots of beautiful blossoms there :clap:

Jerry Delaney 09-25-2008 11:54 PM

Thanks all. Sandy, I got this plant about a year and a half ago in a 4"pot. Didn't know quite what to do with it so drilled some holes in the saucer off of a large pot. Can't remember now, but the saucer was either 12" or 15" in diameter. Just stuck the thing in the saucer with sphagnum. This thing is a WEED!! I will need to do something with it next spring but I'm not sure what. Are the two you have kinda weeds too? I still wish there was some way to syncronize the blooming. If all the blooms opened at once, I don't think you would even be able to see the plant.

dgenovese1 09-26-2008 12:29 AM

They're beautiful Jerry! :bowing Thanks for sharing them with us. :)

Sandy4453 09-26-2008 09:02 AM

I know that divisions are very easy to make with these Bulbos but, DON'T!!!! At the rate yours is growing, by next year there will be even more blooms but, if you must divide, I'll forward my address to you.:biggrin:

One of mine, I've had for about 6 months and had one little bloom but now that it's established, YES...that and the other one are growing their little heads off.

Jerry, how often are you watering?