Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Greenhouse Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/greenhouse-gardening/)
-   -   Birds in the greenhouse (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/greenhouse-gardening/15400-birds-greenhouse.html)

utah 09-05-2008 12:01 AM

Birds in the greenhouse

Okay, while at the pet store today, stocking up on food for the dogs, cat, koi, and wild birds, I popped in and said :hello to the pet birds.

Then I got thinking:scratchhead: Hey, I'm building a greenhouse (approx 8x15) which just might make a nice home for a bird too.

Anyone out there have bird(s) in their greenhouses? What types? Caged or free?

The fiance wanted to get me a sun conure, I was thinking something much less expensive. :shock:

To get him to put his wallet away, I had to tell him to finish building the greenhouse FIRST then we will talk. :rofl:

I know that there are some button quail for sale around here but the greenhouse will have a concrete floor and I'm not so sure about the quail's need for sand baths or constant production of eggs. :hmm

Anyone with experience or tips??

Gin 09-05-2008 09:39 AM

I have quite a few birds but can not put them in the greenhouse would not be good for them if I had to spray :(
Conures and other large types should to be a family member to keep them socialized .
I have heard of people keeping Society or Zebra finches in the greenhouse caged.
Another thing is the Temp. swing a greenhouse can experience can cause them to moult out of season called a soft moult which is hard on them as they have to produce more blood to keep growing new feathers .I think a lot would depend on conditions , the ability to keep the mess.. Vegs. seed ect cleaned up to avoid ants and mice . Gin

Royal 09-05-2008 09:41 AM

You're so smart, Gin. ;)

Becky15349 09-05-2008 09:51 AM

I personally don't think birds kept in a greenhouse would do well...they would get lonely, its too warm in there and cold at night, and dark...even though the plants are nice, I think it would be sad for a bird :(

Gin 09-05-2008 09:54 AM

Awwww:blushing: :blushing: Thanks Royal ,just more time to fill my data bank :rofl: Gin

utah 09-05-2008 11:25 AM

Very good points all!!! I'll have to consider whether or not to just go with finches or button quail or nothing at all.

Hmmmmm - many things to think about.

Thanks!

snow 09-05-2008 12:46 PM

i would go with quail. they are lot like chickens and could run under the benches picking bugs and weeds. i think as long as the temp fluctuations are reasonalysteady they would be fine.
a local garden nurserie has bantam chicks in his greenhouse already for years. and they are a good entertainment for the kids.

quiltingwacko 09-05-2008 12:50 PM

Had a friend with chickens in the yard. Bantams as I remember. She was very upset because they were eating the Sweet William. Better check on that first.

kavanaru 09-05-2008 01:07 PM

Quails (especially japanese quail, which is a quite small bird) are usually kept in greenhouses (at least in europe) in order to contral snails and slugs... I think they can also tolerate some low temps... Sometimes also some other small Phasianidae (e.g. Monals and Tragopans), but they are normally more expensive ;) They can do fine with concrete floor, just set a sand corner for them, and also a corner where they could hide.

For other birds, it would depend on the size of the greenhouse and the temperatures you have in it. Fruit and ground doves, trushes (e.g. white rumped shama), Mynas (can be very very loud!! go to Maui, and you will know what I mean with loud!!), Java Sparrows, Leiothrix and White-eye, are also commonly seen in warm (and also humid) greenhouses...

Conures and other parrots are lovely, but you should have at least two as tehy are very social birds... however, I would strongly not to keep them free in the greenhouse, as they will end up eating your plants ;)

Gin 09-05-2008 03:03 PM

I had plant damage with just one Oriole I hand fed she was in the screen porch learning to fly before I released her . Twiddle lived up to her name .. Gin