Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   How to prep Coconut Husk Chips (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/15317-prep-coconut-husk-chips.html)

Massica 09-03-2008 01:25 AM

How to prep Coconut Husk Chips

I am hoping to find out how to properly prepare Coconut Husk Chips (CHC, as the cool kids seem to call them). I have soaked them several times and rinsed them, and now I have them soaking in epsom salts and water, which I gather leaches the excess Sodium and Potassium in CHC. Do I really have to do this overnight? Is it enough to soak them for a half hour or a few hours. I am talking just enough CHC for a keiki, maybe a cup and a half.

Bolero 09-03-2008 03:56 AM

I don't soak overnight but I use a high quality one that's quality controlled and has already been soaked by the company that sells it.

For that quantity I think you could run the water over it for a while. I know it can be important to soak it overnight depending on the product you're using though.

What do you plan to grow with the medium?

smweaver 09-03-2008 06:15 AM

I soak mine for a few nights in a row with reverse osmosis water, changing the water each morning. If you don't have an RO unit, distilled water will work just as well. RO and Distilled water are "hungry" and will leach out any residual salts from the chips far better than epsom salts will.

Massica 09-03-2008 09:34 AM

All I've got is my faucet pur filter, which would very much surprise me if it had reverse osmosis in that little thing. Our water is not hard, and it comes from snowpack, so, no need for heavy duty RO. Aaaand, I'm broke.
I see what you mean by RO being "hungry" (thirsty?) but it's sort of hard to imagine it being hungrier than Calcium and Magnesium ions that would ionize into the water from the epsom salts, though I haven't taken inorganic chem since 1998.
I am planning on putting my dendro keiki in Coconut, which is what the motherplant is in. I figured that was the right thing to do, since the motherplant seems so happy.

Bolero 09-04-2008 04:04 AM

Dendro keiki? Don't worry about rinsing any further although by now 30 mins has passed........lol.

Dendro's seem to use the stuff very well and I wouldn't be too concerned about it if I were you. That rinishing should be enough, just pass the water over it and rinse.

I know others rinse for days but I've never had an issue and need to do that provided the product is of reasonable quality.

Royal 09-04-2008 09:41 AM

I think you're fine too. Your pre-soak then the epsom salt should take care of a small quantity pretty quickly (I'm guessing).

I think water would technically have to be "thirsty".:rofl:

Dorothy 09-04-2008 10:37 AM

Make your last soak in hot water .. it will help open up the medium to absorb water more readily .. :)

ewhite 12-06-2013 12:45 PM

Brand?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolero (Post 142940)
I don't soak overnight but I use a high quality one that's quality controlled and has already been soaked by the company that sells it.

For that quantity I think you could run the water over it for a while. I know it can be important to soak it overnight depending on the product you're using though.

What do you plan to grow with the medium?

Bolero,

Do you mind sharing what brand you use? Or where you get yours? I've been looking around for CHC that is good quality but am very unsure about this being a newbie.