Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Propagation (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/propagation/)
-   -   growth harmones and flowering (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/propagation/1505-growth-harmones-flowering.html)

mlrao 11-08-2006 03:03 AM

growth harmones and flowering

can ypu tell me the use of rooting harmones and flowering intiation harmone. it is misconception that if u increse the phosporous fertilizer will increase the flowering. it looks this is not true as per the research work done in USA on Phalenopsis. temperature and phtoperiodism play main role in flowering.

Any addtion to this please

Marco 11-08-2006 03:13 AM

I use Dyna-Gro KLN a drop a gallon as an additive to my fertilizer it's supposed to be to help root growth. I can't tell you what kind of a difference it makes cause I've been basically using it every time i fertilize. But it hasn't hurt my plants.

I also use 1tsp per 2 gallons, no fertilzer, to soak media any media im gonna use. I don't know if this makes a difference either but likewise as above it hasn't hurt my plants.

mlrao 11-08-2006 03:30 AM

I also use 1tsp per 2 gallons, no fertilzer, to soak media any media im gonna use. I don't know if this makes a difference either but likewise as above it hasn't hurt my plants.

i could not understand

Marco 11-08-2006 03:40 AM

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be confusing.

If I need to repot plants. I soak the new potting media I'm planning on using in a solution of KLN at 1 teaspoon per 2 gallons. I soak the medium overnight. I don't know if it makes any difference soaking or not soaking the medium but I've been told that it helps the plant transition into the new medium.

gerneveyn 11-08-2006 02:35 PM

After my phal's flowers all faded away, I applied a growth hormone and nutrient solution with a cotton ball to the spike. That solution is the same that Ray Barkalow described in his sphag and bag method for root rot. That is 1 cup of sugar and .25 teaspoon or 1.25 mL root hormone (I used Superthrive) dissolved in one gallon of warm water. A couple weeks after I did this, the spike produced a branch from a node and then began to bud. So the phal flowered again. I'm sorry I can't explain the reason or mechanisms behind this. I did the same with another phal and got the same results.

wallyworld 11-09-2006 10:53 AM

What I have heard from alot of my local growers is that if you don't overdo it all the time, it should not affect the flower. I know there was a grower in my area that was using it every other day at a concentrated amount and it didn't affect the flower. He was using KLN but I have heard to Superthrive might have an affect. But I think you really have to be giving an extreme amount to the plant. I doubt that a small dose of it will damage the flower

Ray 11-15-2006 08:12 AM

The two most-commonly used synthetic rooting hormones are indole butyric acid (IBA) and naphthalene aceitic acid (NAA).

K-L-N has both, SuperThrive has NAA only. Both have Vitamin B-1, also a known root growth stimulant and simple nitrogen source.

Once upon a time, when I was playing with my own formulation, I experimented with a teaspoon per gallon as a constant addition rate, and did see some flower deformation in phals, but that's the only plant. When I cut back, future flowerings were fine.