Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Everblooming Orchids! Yeah!! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/14416-everblooming-orchids-yeah.html)

AaronM 08-06-2008 01:28 AM

Everblooming Orchids! Yeah!!

O.K fellow orchid lovers. Here is another opportunity to share your vast orchid knowledge with those of us with more unvast orchid knowledge. That's right, I'm starting a new list. You know how much I love lists.
As many of you know. My collection of orchids is somewhat lacking in the flower department (See thread: Somethings Missing...Oh Yeah, Flowers!). So I was thinking wouldn't it be nice to have some orchids that flower continuously (as opposed to never). So, sit back dust off those brain cells and start typin. I want to know about your favorite everblooming orchids. I know there are a few. Anything that blooms at least nine months out of the year qualifies.

Thanks.

Aaron "The Orchid Whisperer" M

dgenovese1 08-06-2008 01:51 AM

Hi Aaron,
The only ever-blooming orchid that fits your description, and that I have in my collection is my Phalaenopsis equestris. I got it as a bare root keiki that put up it's first and only spike about 5 months later. That was in March of 2007. That spike bloomed continuously for 13 months...that's right, until April of 2008.
I left the spike on because it looked like it still might not be finished...and it wasn't! It put out a couple more blooms in May, and now has a small keiki on the end. A tremendous bloomer if I must say so myself! :blushing:

shakkai 08-06-2008 04:02 AM

Aaron - you could try some Paphs - some of their flowers last so long that they can become pretty much everblooming. None of mine are there yet - still mostly seedlings waiting to flower... but I live in hope, one day!

Swamper 08-06-2008 07:53 AM

I have a dendro that's been blooming since about March. Its now full of flowers aqnd a new spike getting ready for more. Nothing in the nine month category though.

Becca 08-06-2008 08:38 AM

I would like to mention Haraella odorata! Mine has been in bloom pretty much ever since I got it last October! It may have taken a month off.....but I don't blame it! It's a real cutie....you should check it out!

Chubidubi 08-06-2008 09:12 AM

I have a huge specimen dendro - Dendrobium Jaquelyn Thomas 'Uniwai Supreme'. It's gone crazy and has been in bloom for almost a year and a half. I don't know if this qualifies 'cause there are so many canes there but still it's pretty weird.

quiltingwacko 08-06-2008 11:34 AM

I have an red Epidendrum noid that hasn't stopped sending up spikes and blooming since I bought it last March. Right now there are three spikes with open blooms on it. It is nice to always have something blooming. Just bought an Epi hybrid. No spikes yet.

cb977 08-06-2008 11:38 AM

I find that between the two E cochleata that I have, there is always something in bloom! Den oligophyllum is another that keeps going and going...and my favorite Phal equestris 'Three Times A Lady' x Blue Too' just almost never stops!

Jorch 08-06-2008 11:42 AM

With good culture, sequential blooming phrags can stay in bloom for years! :biggrin: <mumble> and they aer a lot easier to grow and flower than paphs </mumble> :evil:

also, dend cuthbertsonii flowers can last up to 9 months (or so I heard) :goodluck:

quiltingwacko 08-06-2008 02:46 PM

grumble

:rofl: You are cracking me up Jorch! We watch and wait for spikes! :yawn: Someday .....