Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Dropped PrimeAgra in the garbage disposal (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/14355-dropped-primeagra-garbage-disposal.html)

Jadeco 08-04-2008 01:00 AM

Dropped PrimeAgra in the garbage disposal

One little pellet. I don't know how to get it out. Advice, please? :(

Djarum Black 08-04-2008 02:09 AM

Is your garbage disposal always on? Is it content activated? If your afraid to put your hand down there, shut off the power to that area, and then put your hand inside to get it out?
I dono, thats what I would do. I've dropped all types of things down there before. Forks, spoons etc. Just shut the power off. It should be safe then.
The blades inside are even removeable on some models, so if you need to you might be able to take them out.

Jadeco 08-04-2008 03:02 AM

Hehe, I don't know why I didn't think of just sticking my hand down there. I just pulled it out. Thanks!

Ray 08-04-2008 05:41 AM

Another thing you didn't think of: cover the disposal before working with the stuff at the sink! :biggrin:

Grandma M 08-04-2008 06:44 AM

You can buy a metal strainer for about $2.00 or less. I keep one in my sink almost all the time as a preventative. Cheap insurance.

Marilyn

betwixtimes 08-04-2008 09:04 AM

hehe, I can relate.

AHHH---something horrible has happened!
Oh it's fixed now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandma M (Post 132250)
You can buy a metal strainer for about $2.00 or less. I keep one in my sink almost all the time as a preventative. Cheap insurance.

Marilyn

You can pick a metal or rubber one usually at the grocery-store, Walmart or Target. There are also some large rubber sheets that have drainage holes in them that are used to stop a drain and collect things like carrot/potato peels.

cb977 08-04-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betwixtimes (Post 132279)
hehe, I can relate.

AHHH---something horrible has happened!
Oh it's fixed now.

You can pick a metal or rubber one usually at the grocery-store, Walmart or Target. There are also some large rubber sheets that have drainage holes in them that are used to stop a drain and collect things like carrot/potato peels.

I always look at the local dollar-stores when I need stuff like that for working with the chids. More $$$ for orchids! :dance:

bellini girl 08-04-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandma M (Post 132250)

Marilyn

My hydroton does the same, solved problem with metal strainer. Except mine cost .25 cents at thrift store. Get all kinds of goodies there for use with my 'chids

Lecent

cirillonb 08-04-2008 12:15 PM

I've done the same and I have owned a strainer from when I started messing with orchids.(usually forget to use it until something falls down the drain.) The PrimeAgra pellet seems to be easily broken up by the disposal without terrible noise. After all it is just exploded clay particles not even as firm as brick.
Nick