Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   Dend. Oriental Smile 'Fantasy' yellowed (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/14338-dend-oriental-smile-fantasy-yellowed.html)

quiltingwacko 08-03-2008 02:48 PM

Dend. Oriental Smile 'Fantasy' yellowed

Since this is my first Dend., thought I better ask questions quickly after receiving it 8/1. It arrived yellow and wilted. Rehydrating was no problem. Set it on a gravel tray and watered with distilled in case it was picky. It looks better. The yellow leaves worry me though. They will probably fall off. I put it in bright light of an eastern window with blinds and lots of humidity. Don't know what group it belongs to yet. Working on that as the label doesn't say. Any suggestions or info gratefully received. Don't want to lose the first one I ever bought! :scratchhead:

lostonthebeach 08-03-2008 03:39 PM

Here is a link for info on Dend. Oriental Smile 'Fantasy'

Orchid of the Week Library: Dendrobium Oriental Smile 'Fantasy' AD/AOS

quiltingwacko 08-03-2008 04:28 PM

:bowing Thank you so much! I even tried the RHS and couldn't find it's parentage. It was an educational online visit though. I owe you it's first born child. :biggrin: Ah, the relief of orchid stress is wonderful. :biggrin:

Dorothy 08-03-2008 05:11 PM

I found Dendrobium Oriental Smile in the RHS registry -
Dendrobium Oriental Smile = Dendrobium Fukujyu X Dendrobium Yuubae

Hints to using the RHS registry -
Do not type in cultivar epithet (or the last name after the hybrid name in single quotes) - they don't recognize them in their records
Type in only the Grex or hybrid name (you can leave out the genus) example - Oriental Smile
Type in only part of the hybrid name only (don't enter the genus) example - Oriental or Smile
You will usually end up with a long search list entering only one hybrid name - The names are categorized under genus first and then in alphabetical order.
If you need further help with the RHS registry, contact me :)

quiltingwacko 08-03-2008 05:41 PM

"The names are categorized under genus first and then in alphabetical order" Dorothy

I think I'll file Dorothy under genius. I saved the info Dorothy, so I can quickly find whatever next time. Thank you very much. Carol :biggrin: :D

Dorothy 08-03-2008 06:12 PM

Aww, gee .. :blushing:
You are very welcome Carol :)

KHissam 10-08-2019 10:47 AM

Hi! My search for info on my Den. Oriental Smile 'Fantasy' had led me to this thread. However, the first link's page (orchid of the week) is no longer available. My most basic question is, which of the 6 types of dens does this one fall into? (It lost all of its leaves - is it done for?) Thanks!

fishmom 10-08-2019 12:24 PM

This is a nobile-type dendrobium, so losing its leaves normally happens before blooming. Here is a link to a bit of information: Dendrobium Oriental Smile '''Fantasy''' AD/AOS - OrchidWeb

KHissam 10-08-2019 02:38 PM

Oh! Thank you! Now I'm hoping I didn't mess it up by taking it out of its cramped medium to try and address scale. It has a bunch of squishy roots which I was going to trim off, but do I? I don't see any more bugs, thankfully.

fishmom 10-08-2019 02:49 PM

Don't trim roots unless they are truly rotten, black, mushy, etc. Even the core of the root, the wiry part inside the white outside, works to transfer water to the plant and to stabilize the plant in a pot. Also, don't use cinnamon or Hydrogen peroxide on roots, as they can cause damage. Rinse the plant well and leave the remaining roots as is. A little of the old medium stuck to the roots will do no harm, either.